Sunday, September 11, 2022

Three Common Snipe were unexpected.

Sunday 11th September 2022.


Two of the three Common Snipe that flew low overhead by the Cottage.

I knew the weather was closing in this afternoon, drizzle and blustery conditions rolled in eventually and both Becky and I decided to simply chill out this afternoon and watch some films. After chatting to Dot the proprietor of the estate we were staying on, she told me where the footpath was that took us down to the River Nevern nearby and after negotiating my way through the herd of Angora Goats, off I went.



Another few photos of the Common Snipe over the field by the Cottage.

Beforehand, I was really surprised to see a small flock of three Common Snipe circling low overhead (see photos) and seeing they were going to land in the marshy area in the field behind the Cottage, only one settled while the other two flew off over the fields. Trying to find the bird on the ground was near impossible as they can simply vanish once settled. The wind was up though and with overcast skies, I didn't really think that I was going to be seeing all that much.


Above, there were not many birds on my walk, but this Robin showed well. Below, Hedge Woundwort grows abundantly in the field below the Cottage.

Working my way through the overgrown footpath and getting my walking shoes quite sodden, I eventually got to the gate by the trees. From here, I followed the very poor footpath that had fallen trees or low branches across it, down to the small sodden bridge that crossed the small river. From here, I looked up and down, but there was no wildlife of note seen here whatsoever. A few Long-tailed Tits and Robins were heard calling only. Apparently, the footpath opposite had been created by the owner of a nearby Cottage further up the hill, but I think very few people have ever come across this area apart from the owners.


Above, a few Red Campion plants were growing along the track leading past the fields and below, the small bridge crossing the River Nevern.

I made my way back up the hill as carefully as possible, but little of note was seen and I was glad the Goats were friendly too. I am sure those horns of theirs could do some physical damage! Not finished yet, I made my way past the owner's house and up to the Horse field. Apart from the Horse, there was nothing here and so made my way further up the drive. I checked some neighbouring fields and from here, I could feel the rain in the air now. A Chiffchaff was seen and heard briefly in one of the hedgerows and a Chaffinch flew overhead, while a pair of Jays called loudly in the trees back near the Farm. Apart from a rather scruffy looking Robin, all was very quiet. So back to the Cottage for a very lazy afternoon. 


The River Nevern that I crossed this morning. True, not the mightiest of rivers, but it does make a noise from where we are staying!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...