Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Two Red Underwing moths at Portchester Crematorium.


Tuesday 28th September 2021.




There has been a big weather change here on the south coast with a large band of low pressure directly over us causing a good deal of heavy rain at times today and yesterday. The UK is now going through an alleged fuel shortage, which has consequently got all the idiots panic buying fuel for their cars (which, incidentally, the awful UK media instigated!) and causing long tail-backs around the forecourts. Like the toilet-roll fiasco a year or so ago, it's the same again only it seems a lot worse.

Above and below, one of the Red Underwing moths I found at the Crematorium today, showing a bit of the red underwing itself.



With all that mayhem going on, I still kept an eye out for anything interesting to mention on my blog and today, while driving along James Callahan Road along the top of Portsdown Hill, I pointed out to my co-driver, two hovering Kestrels and a large flock of around 20+ Meadow Pipits, seen from the comfort of the car I was driving. A lot of heavy rain had fallen on Portdown Hill and the roads were a tad flooded in places. I was also sure I saw a Raven flying away from me and though I was driving, another quick glimpse kind of confirmed it.



The familiar Box-Tree Moth, which is now a common sight around Portchester Crematorium and seen regularly by day as well as night.

I was working at Portchester Crematorium both this morning and early afternoon and it was on my second visit that I had a check around the flower bays for moths. Though not many were found, I did find TWO Red Underwings moths near the South Chapel exit, of which one allowed me a close approach to take a photo. The only other moths I could find were one Box Tree Moth and at least 8 Beautiful Plume and 2 Common Plume’s. Also around the flower bay, was a roosting Red Admiral butterfly. Not much in the way of bird life, but a Robin was in full song close to where we park the cars to take the family home.

Checking the local websites, it was reported that a ringtail Hen/Pallid Harrier was seen and photographed by Sidlesham Ferry Pool, West Sussex around 1pm and could possibly be the same bird that was flushed off the beach at Church Norton early today. The Harrier was seen to hunt and catch a Red-legged Partridge and apparently, another hybrid type was seen in Norfolk. Off Selsey Bill, 3 Balearic Shearwaters were seen to head west as well as a Great Northern Diver. In Hampshire, both Black-necked Grebe and a drake Common Scoter were off the Hayling Oysterbeds this morning and our Brent Geese are back with at least 92 birds counted in the north-west corner of Langstone Harbour.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Figure of Eighty moth makes a welcome arrival.

Wednesday 8th May 2024. My third Figure of Eighty moth ever. The name of the moth comes from the white markings in the centre of the wing. T...