Wednesday, September 14, 2022

A Pied Flycatcher found near the Farm.

Wednesday 14th September 2022.


I was in luck this afternoon when I found this Pied Flycatcher at the back of the Horses Field on the Farm. 

Last night's weather forecast turned out to be complete garbage where it was mostly overcast, blustery with the occasional bit of sunshine, nowhere near the very warm temperatures and all day sunshine as predicted. Becky and I took a trip into Cardigan, within the county of Ceredigion, for a general ‘look around’ this morning and I was amazed that the majority of people we spoke to were English. Yet another touristy town, but it was, yet again, very scenic as we parked the car within a large car park by the Afon Teifi river. A Grey Heron was seen standing over the far side and a Grey Wagtail flew high over the car park. Always got my birding head on!


Above, the stretch of bushes and trees where I found both the Pied and Spotted Flycatchers. Then, first the Horse came over and wanted a pat on the head and then one of the Cats decided to rub himself on my leg. Can a Birder get any peace or do they think I am Dr. Doolittle? Below, a record shot of the Pied Flycatcher was the best I could do.

With Scruff being a very old dog and Becky’s leg playing her up, it was a very slow walk along the High street where we had a Coffee, rummaged through a few nice Craft shops and then finished off with lunch in a lovely riverside Cafe. On our way to Cardigan, I saw what I think were two Red Kites quartering over a field, but doing 50mph and checking the Kites, I would give it 90% chance they were. A few Buzzards flew over, but little else of note on the pleasant drive into Cardigan.


Swallows flying over during a brief bit of sunshine by the Horses Field. 

When we got back, a nice cup of cup of coffee and a cake followed and after watching our Queens coffin being taken from Buckingham Palace to St. Pauls Cathedral on the telly with Becky, I decided to take a look outside for another spot of birding around the Farm. I was only mentioning yesterday that it would be good to see a Pied Flycatcher among the many Spotted Flycatchers here and would you believe it, I found one. It was seen at the far end of the Horses Field, with at least two Spotted Flycatchers, but confirmation was difficult as it was overcast, distant and I had to use the highest zoom on my camera. As my camera can stretch to 2000x, it was a case of getting a sharp enough photo of the bird. 


A male Great Spotted Woodpecker in one of the trees behind the Cottage.

Not as slim as a Spotted Flycatcher and showing a glowing white breast, pale head and eventually, the dark primaries with flashing white secondaries, I was in no doubt it was my second Pied Flycatcher of the Autumn. Well chuffed. Sadly, the photos did not do it justice, but the fields are private and so I had to make do with long distance shots. There were also a few Chiffchaffs flitting about in the same hedgerow and a Robin.


Another Swallow flew fairly low over the Horses Field. Not easy to photograph with my Bridge Camera, honestly! 

Other birds in the area included a Great Spotted Woodpecker perched high up in a leafless branch behind the Cottage and a Pied Wagtail flew over. Swallows were abundant again. A singing Goldcrest was flitting about in the trees near the Horses field and a pair of Chaffinches were feeding on one of the feeders within the garden. Judging by the amount of birds here, I bet they get a lot of good birds in the winter coming down to feed, although they will be wary of the Cats present here. I actually saw one of the adult Persian Cats eat a mouse whole, although they don't seem bothered about the birds!     


This superb image of a White-winged Black Tern over Longham Lakes, Dorset, was taken by Facebook friend, Christine Whiffen. The bird has been present there for a few days now, the same set of lakes Andy Fisher and myself saw the American Black Tern a few years back. I am tempted to go for this on Saturday should it still be present. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...