Thursday, September 15, 2022

Dawn birding at the Farm.

Thursday 15th September 2022.


The Swallows kindly perched on the overhead wires behind the barns early this morning.

Our penultimate day at this lovely location in South Wales and my day kicked off again with a check of the moth box at dawn. I passed a resting Red Admiral on the wall of the Cottage, wings closed, imitating a leaf that had been stuck to the wall. A few Large Black Slugs had to be avoided as I made my way to the side of the house and checking the wall behind the moth box, I could not find one moth, which did not bode well. There were plenty of Crane Flies though, but that was not what I was after.




There were just two moths and a few insects within the moth box this morning, which was very disappointing. From top to bottom: Setaceous Hebrew Character moth, Brimstone Moth and the Crane Fly Tipula maxima.

Even checking the box when I took the lid off, I was to be disappointed as all I could muster for the whole night was just TWO moths; one very worn Setaceous Hebrew Character and one Brimstone Moth! With electricity costs going through the roof, I would consider that a total waste of money, but that's the risk you take in ‘Moth-ing’. Apart from a couple of Dung Beetles, which goes to prove that not a lot was flying about last night, one of the UK’s largest Crane Flies was present on one of the egg trays; the Crane Fly Tipula maxima, which was my first one this year. 



Top photo: a Great Spotted Woodpecker was proclaiming its territory on the right hand side of the field at dawn. Bottom photo: a Large Black Slug on one of the patio slabs.

As the light got better, I noticed a lot of activity regarding the bird life down in the field below me and the neighbouring trees. When a pair of Ravens flew overhead (I could hear their wing beats as they flew past), calling as they went by, this got me intrigued and so I made myself another coffee and stood overlooking the field for the next hour up to 8am. Armed with my binoculars and camera, the morning turned out to be quite fresh, with a light northerly wind blowing and with the temperature around 13 degrees, it was still quite bright with large clouds drifting low above the fields.


Above, some of the Mistle Thrushes perched up one of the dead trees on the left hand side of the field. Can you spot the Song Thrush? Below, a Coal Tit on top of the Conifer behind me. 


Again, as mentioned, there was a lot of bird activity, notably from the Thrushes, with a count of at least 9 Mistle Thrushes settling on one of the tall leafless trees to my left and then suddenly joined by a flock of around 6 Song Thrushes, which were enjoying eating the berries in one of the Elderberry trees. A Bat species flew past heading back towards its roosting spot in the neighbouring trees within the Farm garden. A male Great Spotted Woodpecker was exclaiming his territory on one of the tall trees to my right, near the river, his call echoing across the field. Then he took off and flew into the trees within the Farm garden. 


Above, a flock of Grey Lag Geese flying distantly over the Welsh countryside seen from the Farm garden. Below, the Swallows getting restless on the overhead wires.

Corvids, mostly Rooks, Carrion Crows and Jackdaws were in large flocks flying over the countryside in the distance, while smaller numbers flew up the hill and over the Farm. At least two Jays were making a din below on the left hand side of the field, flitting about in the branches of the trees. Overhead, the occasional passerine would fly over including at least 2 Linnets, Chaffinches, a lone Meadow Pipit and even a Bullfinch put in an appearance; my first of the trip here.


Above, one of the Mistle Thrush flock and below, the resting Red Admiral butterfly on the wall of the Cottage.

Behind me, the Goldcrest was vocal within the nearest Conifer to where I stood and a Coal Tit posed nicely for me at the top of the same Conifer for a quick photo. The local Swallows, with a few youngsters among them, also posed nicely on the overhead wires near the barns until flying off to search for aerial insects for breakfast. All in all, a lovely hour's birding. It looks like its going to be a relaxing day on the Farm today. Hopefully, I shall come across some more nice sightings during the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...