Thursday, September 15, 2022

An afternoon walk up the track.

Thursday 15th September 2022.

The sun shining on the hills at the end of the track.

I took a stroll this afternoon, up the track leading to the main road, checking out the fields and hedgerows for anything of note, though it was a tad breezy and bracing. The northerly wind cut through me at times and thankfully, the shelter of the hedgerows was a blessing. As it's our last day here at this beautiful place, I thought I should make the most of the bright weather and who knows what could be just around the next field?

Above, House Sparrows by the feeders in the Farm garden and below, the front of the Farm looking down from one of the fields.

 

To be honest, sightings were far and few between during my hours walk, but I did come across another couple of Spotted Flycatchers in the row of trees behind the Barns. These were most likely new birds just passing through as I could not find any at all around the Farm earlier today. Also seen was a female Sparrowhawk, keeping low over the arable fields and then disappearing over a hedge and probably on the hunt for some unwary migrant. I noticed Chiffchaff numbers have dropped considerably around the Farm, but I did hear a few birds calling in the distance.


One of two Spotted Flycatchers seen in the top fields. 


What was noticeable was the large movement of Hirundines, notably Swallows and House Martins flying low over the fields. I soaring Common Buzzard, which looked as though it was going through a heavy moult judging by the feathers, had the Hirundines gathering in a large flock at one stage, but soon headed off back low over the fields, snatching aerial insects on the way.  


Above, a Common Buzzard in heavy moult flying low over the fields. Below, one of several House Martins flying over the fields with the Swallows. 



Above, the swirling flock of Corvids high over the Farm this afternoon.

When we got back, I came across the owner of the Farm and had a chat about the wildlife I had seen during our week here. In doing so, a huge flock of Corvids flew high over the Farm, mostly Rooks and Jackdaws, that all circled for a while then headed off. Easily over a 100+ birds were involved and quite a spectacle too. A Nuthatch was seen briefly feeding on one of the feeders, then it flew off over the Barns. I just might have another look around the Farm before packing up my gear for the long drive home tomorrow. Earlier this morning, 2 juvenile Long-tailed Skua, 3 Pomarine Skua and a juvenile Sabine’s Gull flew past Strumble Head. If only I was there!     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...