Sunday, May 5, 2024

Common Pug moth added to year list.

Sunday 5th May 2024.


My first Common Pug of the year this morning.

Another cool start to the day with bright sunshine waking me up this morning. I had a lot of writing to do for my blog this morning after yesterday's superb day and so I got up early at 5am to not only start updating my blog but also to check the moth box. I don't normally put the moth box two nights consecutively, but I made an exception and thankfully, it paid off. I had Terry, my window cleaner, putting up another three Swift nest boxes this morning at 10am and he was promptly on time too, though, annoyingly, it had clouded over and drizzle began falling down.


Above, a Bloxworth Snout and below, the micro moth Ruddy Streak.

The Moth Box:

Another new moth for the year was by my moth box this morning that included a Common Pug that was perched on the box below the moth box. Other moths present included a Bloxworth Snout, 2 Brimstone Moths, 2 Double-striped Moths, 1 Narrow-winged Grey and finally, 10 Light Brown Apple Moths. Not too bad, but I am hoping for more as the month wears on.


The Woodchat Shrike at Steart Marshes in Somerset. Photo by Matt Parkes.

There was a ‘Lazee’s’ sea-watch this morning at Gilkicker, but I had far too much to do and so I had to dip out. A light-phase Pomarine Skua went through the Solent again, heading east fairly close in according to the observer and another went through later in the morning. An Arctic Skua was also seen heading east, but very little else. Two Black-necked Grebes in summer plumage were seen off Western Sailing Club. Yesterday, Emma and Matt Parkes went up to Slimbridge to see the Bluethroat that has returned there for the past four years. On the way back, they popped into Steart Marshes in Somerset where they had a ‘lifer’ in the form of a Woodchat Shrike.     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Probable Bee-eater heard over Old Portsmouth this morning!

Friday 17th May 2024. A distant Common Buzzard flying high over Southsea this morning. I took this photo while in the Cemetery. What could ...