Tuesday, September 13, 2022

The usual suspects within the moth box.

Tuesday 13th September 2022.


Some of the moths present this morning in my moth box: from left to right, Rosy Rustic, 2 Flame Shoulder, Large Yellow Underwing and Small Square-spot.

An overcast morning, though bright and mild to kick off the day here on the Farm. Grabbing my coffee, I made my way down to the moth box to see what goodies were in store for me this morning. In fact, nothing new at all among the 17 moths of 8 species. Again, there were many Dung Beetles within the moth box and other insects included a species of Ichneumon Wasp (not a moth's best friend either!) and a lot of Caddisflies of various sizes.





From top to bottom: Dung Beetles, Green Carpet moth, Snout moth and the micro moth, Celypha lacunana. 

The following moths were present this morning:

  • 1 Rosy Rustic
  • 1 Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • 2 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 1 Square-spot Rustic
  • 1 Snout
  • 2 Flame Shoulder
  • 4 Green Carpet
  • 1 Small Square-spot
  • 4 Celypha lacunana

As per usual, I do keep an eye and ear out for any birds while checking the moths and a Siskin was heard flying over somewhere in the distance. I was more fortunate with a Grey Wagtail seen flying over heading down towards the river and behind me, both Blackcap and a singing Chiffchaff were flitting about in the garden. A lone Mistle Thrush was ‘churring’ high up in the trees where I saw the Spotted Flycatcher yesterday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...