Friday, September 16, 2022

A bumper surprise on moth numbers.

Friday 16th September 2022


My first Beaded Chestnut of the year rounded off a wonderful week here in Wales. 

On our way back home today, therefore I must say, I have really enjoyed myself here at this superb location. Even my wife said she would most certainly stay here again, mostly for the peace and quiet. 


Up to three Rosy Rustic moths were recorded this morning. 

This morning, it was bright and with a lot of clouds around, but most of all, it was dry. Thankfully, we have been very lucky with the weather this week and it was only last Sunday it had been raining. Yes, it has been a bit windy at times, but there has always been something to look at during my stay here, whether it has been the moths or the birds and simply all the wildlife here. The owners of the Farm have provided us with everything we needed here and though I only spoke to Dot, and not her husband, she has been very helpful and understanding regarding me exploring their Farm. Even the pets she has roaming the Farm, were friendly, which is always a bonus.


Two Common Marbled Carpets were recorded today.

After just two moths yesterday, I took a gamble last night and put the moth box on overnight and it most certainly paid off. A total of 28 moths of 13 species were recorded, including my first Beaded Chestnut of the year and Common Marbled Carpets are starting to arrive too, with two individuals present of different colours. There were a few micros this morning, including my first Rush Veneer of the week.  


A Rush Veneer was a surprise this morning within the moth box. 

The following moths present this morning included the following:

  • 1 Beaded Chestnut (NFY)
  • 2 Green Carpet
  • 6 Setaceous Hebrew Character
  • 1 Flame Shoulder
  • 3 Square-spot Rustic
  • 3 Rosy Rustic
  • 1 Small Square-spot
  • 3 Snout
  • 2 Common Marbled Carpet
  • 1 Brimstone Moth 
  • 1 Rush Veneer
  • 1 Garden Rose Tortrix
  • 2 Celypha lacunana
  • 1 Brown House Moth

So, wrapping up this superb week here, I do hope to come again at this location; yes, a long drive, but well worth the trip. The sun is now shining here at 8am and hopefully, a nice weekend beckons.  Below, even Scruff thoroughly enjoyed himself here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...