Wednesday, May 3, 2023

A windy night produced a few moths.

Thursday 4th May 2023.


Angle Shades moth.

It seems like a while since I have added anything new to my blog. That is due to the fact that I have felt like crap due to having a chronic toothache (aren't they all?!) of which my superb Dentists sorted out almost straight away. So pleased with the Amoxicillin kicking in as fast as it did. Only thing is, I felt like I had flu-like symptoms and had to rest in bed afterwards. From there, believe it or not, I heard the Green Woodpecker calling from Highland Road Cemetery; a species I have not seen at all there this year. Maybe I was hallucinating or maybe my hearing is sharper than I give it credit for?


One of three Light Brown Apple Moths this morning.

I had my first Swift over my house on Tuesday late afternoon. I heard it ‘screaming’ high overhead, but none to be seen the following day. A pair of Grey Herons flew low over the rooftops the same day heading towards the Cemetery and then probably on to Langstone Harbour perhaps? Always worth keeping an ‘eye to the sky’ for someone who claimed a probable male Red-footed Falcon over Fareham a few days ago. The first Hampshire Pomarine Skua’s passed Hill Head yesterday afternoon, seen by fellow ‘Lazee’s’ Mark Francis and Andy Friend and three were seen passing Selsey Bill. The Short-eared Owl that eluded me on Monday was seen again both Tuesday and Wednesday late in the afternoon and early evening. Wonderful!!!


Pomarine Skua's passing Selsey Bill, West Sussex, yesterday afternoon. Photo by Sarah Russell.

Last night, despite being quite a windy night, I put the moth box overnight and this morning, I totalled up 5 moths of just 3 species. Poor, I know, but it really has been hit or miss so far this Spring. An Angle Shades was the pick of the bunch with one Double-striped Pug and 3 Light Brown Apple Moths. One Lacewing was the only notable insect present by the moth box.  


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...