Sunday, April 30, 2023

A new moth for my year list.

Monday 1st May 2023.


Shuttle-shaped Dart moth.

The moth box was on overnight in my back garden and despite a cool and probably cloudless night, there was one new moth for the year to kick off a new month, a Shuttle-shaped Dart. The moth was on one of the egg trays as was a late Early Grey moth, but apart from a few micro moths, most of the moths were outside of the moth box. The following moths were present this morning:

  • 1 Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Early Grey
  • 1 Mompha divisella
  • 9 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 4 Tachystola acroxantha


Early Grey moth.

While I was checking the moths, I heard the distinctive chatter of a Swallow flying over and so I stopped what I was doing and located the bird flying west over the rooftops. A lovely way to start the day. 


Double-striped Pug.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...