Sunday, April 30, 2023

The lovely sound of birdsong within the Cemy.

Sunday 30th April 2023.


The Oak Tree in the north-east corner of the Cemetery in flower.

It took me nearly all morning to get my blog up to date after yesterday's birding and moth exploits, but after a visit with the family to Gunwharf for a bit of retail therapy in the afternoon, I took our Isabelle around Highland Road Cemetery, so she could ride her bike, while I kept an eye out for anything of note. Though the weather was a lot cooler and overcast than yesterday, there was always a chance of something interesting within the Cemy.


Above, a Carrion Crow is resting on top of one of the small Chapels and below, one of several Blackbirds that was in song within the Cemy.

I couldn't find any migrants again here, though it now is looking very green within the Cemetery, but I am still wondering where all the Swifts are over Portsmouth, though it took around the second week of May last year for the first ones to be seen over my house. However, a count of 140 Swifts were over Fishlake Meadows this morning!  All the usual birds were present within the Cemetery, but I didn't count the species this time as most of my attention was to look and keep an eye on Isabelle as she cycled around the footpaths. Thankfully, there were hardly any dog-walkers around today and so Isabelle was left in peace to cycle to her heart's content.


Above, the pink 'spikes' are now showing from the Horse Chestnut trees. Below, it's been a few weeks since I have seen a Dunnock here at this site.

A Dunnock was arguably the best sighting this afternoon, a species I only encounter a few times each month here. They probably are breeding here, but they sure do become elusive. The pink ‘spikes’ on the Horse Chestnut trees are in full bloom now and even the large Oak tree in the north-east corner looks stunning with its flowers on show. Though there were no migrants or something that unusual here today, it was simply lovely to stand and just listen to the songs of the birds here. Both Robin and Blackbird were in full song and the tinkling calls of the Goldfinches made me feel really relaxed and what with the wonderful company of Isabelle, I was really at peace with everything. There was no moth box last night, but earlier today, while tidying the back garden up, I found the caterpillar of a Garden Tiger moth that had been munching on one of my pot plants!


Above, a Robin in full song and below, a female Blackbird on the hunt for food.

In Hampshire today, a Roseate Tern (which was also seen yesterday) was seen fishing with Common Terns off Hill Head and the Grasshopper Warbler was still present near the Meonshore Hide at Titchfield Haven. The Short-eared Owl was still on Farlington Marshes early this afternoon (I must get down there to see it) and I read that the Barn Owls are still occupying the holes at Fort Cumberland.


Above, Starlings were also busy in search for food in the lush grass. Below, a Garden Tiger caterpillar I found in my garden this morning. 



The quite stunning White-crowned Sparrow at Seaford Head. Photo by Emma Parkes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...