Monday, May 1, 2023

A relaxing afternoon on the Marshes.

Monday 1st May 2023.


One of the large flock of Swifts that flew high over the main Lake late this afternoon.

I suppose it was ‘Last chance Saloon’ to see a Short-eared Owl this side of Spring today and my luck had run out. I spent a good chunk of the afternoon waiting patiently from the Viewing Platform on Farlington Marshes for an Owl to show and in good company I might add, with both Emma and Matt Parkes close by, also hoping for a few photos of this superb bird. Knowing that the Owl has taken a liking to flying up and down along the southern end of the reserve, I sat waiting and enjoying the other bird life on show at my favourite reserve.


Above, it was good to see Redshanks holding territory on the Marshes. This individual was watching over his territory and also keeping an eye on his mate that wasn't feeding too far away. Below, this male Reed Bunting was joined by a female later in the afternoon. Such smart birds in the summer dress.

I arrived around 2.30pm in the car park and amazingly, there was a parking space available and so without haste, I took a few photos of the Alexander plants growing by the main entrance and made my way slowly to the Viewing Platform beside the main Lake. I kept a sharp ear out for any singing Lesser Whitethroats (normally a good area for them here by the Bushes area), but none heard, though I did pass a singing Common Whitethroat that was displaying on one of the small brambles adjacent to the sea wall. A few Greenfinches were noted and a singing Chiffchaff was heard somewhere deep within the brambles.


Above, Alexander plants were abundant within the car park to the reserve. This was great news for the Bees and Hoverflies that feed on the nectar of the plants.  Below, a male Greenfinch was holding territory by the footpath while walking through the Bushes area.

The weather didn't look all that great at first as when I arrived at the Viewing Platform, a sharp shower had me covering up my birding gear from a good soaking, but eventually it passed and bright sunshine arrived. I had my thick winter coat on and with the strength of the sun, I was thinking I was going to regret it, but it turned out to be just right. The tide was well out, exposing the mudflats to entice the waders and the Whimbrels feeding on it duly obliged. I counted at least 5 birds out on the mudflats and some showed reasonably close too. A late Curlew was heard calling behind me and some Avocets flew off the Lake and made their way to the channel in the harbour.


My superb view for the afternoon. Sitting down with some good company from the Viewing Platform produced some superb birds sightings. It really goes to show that just sitting in one place for a length of time can really throw up some nice birds. Meadow Pipits displayed nearby and Reed Warblers were occasionally singing in the reedbeds below. 

It was a good afternoon for Raptors too, with an unexpected Red Kite dropping in and making a grab a couple of times on something dead near the edge of the Lake. A couple of Common Buzzards were about all afternoon, mostly perched on the fence posts close to the main reedbed and a distant Kestrel was seen hunting over the Point Field and the Deeps. Even a male Peregrine drifted high overhead, but too distant for me to get a decent photo of this smart bird. The guys present with me saw a Marsh Harrier briefly over the reeds by the Info Centre, but I ‘dipped’ on that sighting.


Above, this pair of Redshanks were seen mating by the edge of the Lake and below, this Red Kite came in and grabbed something on the ground just north of the Lake and carried it off as it drifted off north. I don't often see Kites over the Marshes, so that was a bonus.

A few Swallows and House Martins were seen during my time there, busy hawking over the fields and towards the end of my trip here, I heard the familiar ‘screaming’ of Swifts overhead and sure enough, there was a large flock of at least 30+ birds swirling around in the now clear blue sky. It was great to see them back in numbers again. The reedbeds in front of us contained at least two singing Reed Warblers that showed only briefly and a pair of Reed Buntings entertained us for a while too, noticeably the male bird that sat on top of the reed bed for some time. A pair of Redshanks were seen mating behind the reedbed and occasionally, one would stand on one leg on a fence post. 


Above, this Common Buzzard sat on this post for sometime until it decided to get up and soar right over my head (below). It was later joined by a second bird later in the afternoon.

Matt picked up a female Wheatear out in the field behind the Lake, his and Emma’s first of the year, of which we all got good, but distant, views of the bird and about an hour later, Matt also picked up a male bird within the field. On the Lake itself, a few Little Grebes swam close to the reeds and at least five Avocets were seen wading in the shallow water, though they soon returned to the harbour. The water level on the Lake was relatively high and so, not many waders to be seen here bar a few Redshank and again, the Avocets. Lapwings were in good numbers within the fields, kept busy chasing off Crows that got too close and good numbers of Mediterranean Gulls, on snow white wings, flew high overhead.


Above, around 8 Avocets were either on the main Lake or out close by in the harbour. Below, at least 4 Whimbrel were seen on the mudflats within the western side of Langstone Harbour.

There were quite a few photographers dotted around the southern end of the reserve, hoping, like us, for a sighting of the Owl, but I believe that the Short-eared Owls were not reported this evening. It was clear and still last night and most likely the Owl had flown off; however, at this time of year, these birds are full of surprises and just might be still around. Becky sent me a text to say that our dinner had been ordered and so I said my Goodbye’s to both Emma and Matt and made my way back to the car. I really enjoyed this afternoon and so relaxed too in the sunshine, which goes to show that sitting in just one place can be very productive instead of walking for some distance. I read that 4 Little Terns were seen on the high tide later in the evening, but hopefully, my time will come in viewing these birds.


Above and below, this Little Egret was fishing both near the main Lake and also in the creek behind us. 



Above, one or possibly two Little Grebes were on the main Lake and below, Matt spotted this female Wheatear in the field behind the Lake. A male bird was picked up around an hour later in the same field.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...