Sunday, July 28, 2024

Five more moths added to year list.

Sunday 28th July 2024.


This stunning Cloaked Carpet moth is only the second time I have actually seen one.

After a pretty restless night (getting used to a different bed is never easy), I was awake at 5.30am this morning and so quickly dressed to check the Moth Box. The whole of the countryside was enveloped in thick fog and the sound of the Crows and Jackdaws could be heard but the birds could not be seen. OK, I was a little disappointed in the numbers of the moths this morning, but five more species that were new for the year, were pretty spectacular moths.


Above, a Small Phoenix moth was probably only my third ever and below, the gorgeous Rosy Footman moth.



Above, the dainty Small Yellow Wave was again, only my second ever. Below, a rather worn Wormwood Pug.



Above, four of ten Common Footman moths near the Moth Box. Below, a Dun-bar moth was also new for the year.



While the dogs sniffed around the garden, there were two moths I have only ever seen once before and that was in Devon too, on one of our Cottage holidays. Both Cloaked Carpet and Small Yellow Wave were present and were supported by a Small Phoenix, Rosy Footman and a Wormwood Pug, which were all new for the year. Other moths present included an Uncertain, at least 10 Common Footman, a Riband Wave and a Dark Sword-grass. Finally, two micro moths, Twenty-plume Moth and a Common Masoner were also noted. Later in the afternoon, having a recheck of the egg trays by the moth box, I discovered a Dun-bar moth sat inside. How on earth did I miss it?


Above, a foggy start to the morning and below, a Spiders web catching the early morning dew.



Above, a Wood Pigeon was watching me as I was checking out the Moths.

For the rest of the day, it was going to be a lazy day. We had Sunday Roast booked for 1.30pm at Bell Inn and before and after, we simply just chilled out in the garden and I personally enjoyed a good variety of birds and insects that came our way throughout the day. The weather was simply glorious as I sat armed with both binoculars and my camera. All in all, a total of 27 bird species were recorded and included a few surprises too.


Above, a female Great Spotted Woodpecker flew into our neighbours garden in the afternoon and the Green Woodpecker even landed in the same tree. Below, a Goldfinch sang beautifully in the sunshine.


Pick of the day's birds included a superb Hobby hunting overhead. First alerted of its presence when all the House Martins and Swallows suddenly went into defence mode and their alarm calls helped locate the Hobby as it passed over us several times and long enough to grab a few photos as well. A small bird ‘flycatching’ had me scrambling for my binoculars and sure enough, it was a Spotted Flycatcher. On closer inspection of the photos, I think it might have been a juvenile bird judging by the amount of white on the wing feathers. The bird didn't stay that long, but I managed a bit of film footage of it as it sat in a tall tree in our neighbours garden.



The juvenile Spotted Flycatcher seen today.

Both Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker put in an appearance within the garden and both Nuthatch and Treecreeper were heard but not seen. A Grey Wagtail was heard flying over the village, but no sighting of that bird either. A male Kestrel flew high over the house and a Buzzard could be heard calling throughout the day somewhere within the countryside and most likely a young bird. There were plenty of finch species too with a few Siskins flying over, a pair of Chaffinches flitting about and occasionally catching passing insects within the tall neighbouring tall trees. Both Greenfinches and Linnets were observed flying over and as the day wore on, the Swallows, House Martins and good numbers of Swifts flew low over the house and the surrounding countryside.





Above, I managed to grab a few photos of the Hobby that circled over the house several times.

Regarding the notable insects seen today in the garden, the pick of the bunch has to go to my first Pellucid Fly (Volucella pellucens) of the year. A smart individual was perched on one of the plants within the garden, but flew off before I got a photo of it. A Birch Sheildbug flew onto me and so I quickly got a few photos of the insect before I put it somewhere safe. Both Small White and Gatekeeper butterflies were flitting about the garden throughout the day and a probably Comma was seen several times but would not settle. A cracking day where the weather played its part too and the Sunday Roast was delicious too!


Above, The Bell Inn pub within the village. I can thoroughly recommend the food and the selection of beer is something else!


Above and below, the very impressive St. Hieritha Church, which dates back to 1470!



A Birch Shieldbug landed on me late in the afternoon.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...