Tuesday, July 30, 2024

A stunning morning for moths.

Tuesday 30th July 2024.


My first ever Pebble Prominent is on my life list at last.

I was up a lot later than normal, but early enough to get up before everyone else to check what goodies lay in and around my Moth Box. We were in for another glorious day and it was bright and sunny this morning as I got about checking the moths. A staggering TEN new moths for the year were recorded including three that were ‘Lifers’. So this was ‘seventh heaven’ for me. A lot of the moths from last night were still present, but a lot more that were new as I set about going through them all.


Above, Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet and below, the Micro moth Dark-barred Straw. Both were also new on my life list.

The ‘Lifers’ included the Macro moths, Pebble Prominent and Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet and a Micro moth, Dark-barred Straw. New for the year included Dingy Footman, both Iron and Pale Prominent (such smart moths), July Highflyer, Clouded Silver, Cloaked Minor and a Clay moth. There wasn't a bad total either with 50 moths of 25 species, which had me wondering what sort of number I would have got with my usual Moth Box?


I had a good number of 'year-ticks' this morning that included (above) my first Clay moth of the year. Below, a Clouded Silver.



Above, only my second ever Iron Prominent and below, one of two Dingy Footman this morning.



Above, a Cloaked Minor and below, a July Highflyer.



Above, a superb Pale Prominent moth.

The Moths seen this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Dingy Footman (New for Year) 2
  • Common Footman 18
  • Rosy Footman  4
  • Dark Arches
  • Elephant Hawk-moth
  • Large Yellow Underwing 2
  • Iron Prominent (NFY)
  • Pale Prominet (NFY)
  • PEBBLE PROMINENT (LIFER)
  • Uncertain 2
  • July Highflyer (NFY)
  • Common Carpet
  • Riband Wave 5
  • Coronet 
  • DARK-BARRED TWIN-SPOT CARPET (LIFER)
  • Clouded Silver (NFY)
  • Buff Ermine
  • Cloaked Minor (NFY)
  • Chinese Character
  • Clay (NFY)

MICRO MOTHS:

  • DARK-BARRED STRAW
  • Common Masoner
  • Garden Grey
  • Tawny Grey
  • Straw Grass-moth


Also among the moths were two of these stunning Caddis Flies called Athripsodes albifrons. Below, a fine Elephant Hawk-moth by the box this morning.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...