Thursday, August 1, 2024

Another moth 'Lifer' to kick off a new month.

Thursday 1st August 2024.


Dawn over the Village.

So, July has been and gone and August is upon us. Before walking the dogs, I set about early checking the Moth Box again and was rewarded with another ‘Lifer’ in the form of a BORDERED BEAUTY; a species I have only dreamed of seeing. On top of that, I had SEVEN more species of moth that were new for the year among the 65 moths of 31 species this morning. This included my second ever Sallow Kitten, plus the likes of Fan-foot, Dusky Thorn, Tawny Speckled Pug, Pebble Hook-tip,  Mottled Beauty and Knot-grass. Again, I wonder what else I would have trapped if I had my usual Moth Box, which would have gathered more moths? 


My first ever Bordered Beauty. I never expected to find one of these by my Moth Box and so very quickly potted it before it could fly off. Wow!


Above, Knot Grass and below, Pebble Hook-tip.



Above, Dusky Thorn and below, Mottled Willow.



Above, Tawny Speckled Pug and below, Sallow Kitten.

The moths present this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • BORDERED BEAUTY (LIFER)
  • Fan-foot (New for Year)
  • Scorched Carpet
  • Yellow-barred Brindle
  • Chinese Character 2
  • Silver Y 2
  • Sallow Kitten (NFY)
  • Willow Beauty
  • Common Footman 20
  • Dusky Thorn (NFY)
  • Rosy Footman
  • Pebble Hook-tip 2 (NFY)
  • Tawny Speckled Pug (NFY)
  • Black Arches 3
  • Brussels Lace
  •  Mottled Beauty (NFY)
  • Cloaked Minor 4
  • Knot Grass (NFY) 3
  • Small Yellow Wave
  • Brimstone Moth 2
  • Marbled Beauty
  • Uncertain
  • Large Yellow Underwing 3
  • Riband Wave
MICRO MOTHS:
  • Garden Straw 
  • Garden Grass-veneer
  • Light Brown Apple Moth
  • Dark-barred Straw
  • Garden Grey 2
  • Tawny Grey
  • Twenty-plume Moth
  • Cherry-tree Ermine 2

Other insects that my trap caught overnight included a lot of Beetles, Shield Bugs and Caddisflies. Of the Beetles, there were a few Strawberry Seed Beetles and the much bigger Common Dor Beetle. At least 5 Red-legged Shieldbugs were present. All the insects were safely released into the garden.


Above Common Dor Beetle and below, Strawberry Seed Beetle.



Above, one of several Red-legged Shieldbugs.

After checking the Box, I took the dogs for a walk up the road again and enjoying the Swifts (one flew in and out of its nest hole within a Bungalow), Swallows and House Martins overhead; I got to the Sheep field to view the Barns below and as I had my binoculars with me, I picked out a superb Little Owl perched on top of the Barn; my second of the year. If only I took my camera with me! Doh!


Above, the Barn with the Little Owl sitting on top of the apex of the roof. Below, the walk back to the Village.



For the rest of the day, after completing my Blog, we then took a drive to five locations in North Devon: The Valley of Rocks (near Barbrook), Ilfracombe,  Combe Martin, Lynton and Lynmouth. Although it wasn't strictly a birding day (it's my wife’s holiday too!)I did keep an eye out for anything interesting. Ilfracombe was typically a tourist place and we had a drink and an ice cream there and with Combe Martin, we just drove through the place. This led us onto the pretty town of Lynton and taking the Funicular train down to Lynmouth, that kind of rounded off our touring for today. A few Common Buzzards were seen, but to be honest, very little else.


Above, a gorgeous view could be had at the Valley of Rocks and below, Common Ragwort was growing everywhere by the main coastal path.



Above, a Drone Fly was nectaring on this plant and below a view within the Valley of Rocks. I could hear a Stonechat calling here, but the place was virtually birdless.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...