Thursday, September 3, 2026

Back to Pembroke Road today.

Thursday 3rd September 2026.


Heavy damp clouds this morning eventually gave way to sunshine here in Pembroke Road.

A damp, overcast start gave way to a warm and humid morning as the new school term began. Back at Pembroke Road, I recorded 12 familiar bird species, including several notable local sightings, before an unexpected encounter with a Red-legged Shieldbug on the journey home.


Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

With a blustery south-westerly wind and dark, overcast skies, I was not expecting much bird activity. The clouds eventually cleared, however, giving way to bright sunshine.

Despite the unsettled start, I recorded 12 species—all familiar local birds. I had hoped to spot a migrant passing overhead, but there was nothing unusual of note.

Notable Bird Sightings

The morning’s highlights were:

·        A Robin singing near the Bowling Green.

·        A flock of Great Black-backed Gulls flying east over the Curtain Moat.

·        House Sparrows chirping from bushes around the Bowling Green perimeter.

·        Blue Tits and Great Tits calling from the nearby Holm Oaks.


A Surprising Insect Encounter


This Red-legged Shieldbug was unexpected!

While driving home after my first shift, I felt something crawling across my hand. I pulled over and discovered a Red-legged Shieldbug. After taking a quick photograph, I released it through the window, and it flew strongly towards Southsea Common.



Above, a Chevron Grass-moth and below, the Southern Oak Bush-cricket.



Later this morning, I found a variety of moths again by the outside of a Residential Building that included both Common and Chevron Grass-moths and also a Common Plume. Close by, perched on the wall above a doorway, I found a Southern Oak Bush-cricket sat motionless. It is surprising what these outside lights attract overnight and thankfully, some of the insects hang around to the morning in broad daylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Pembroke Road today.

Thursday 3rd September 2026. Heavy damp clouds this morning eventually gave way to sunshine here in Pembroke Road. A damp, overcast start ...