Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Another four more moths added to year list.

Tuesday 11th June 2024.


My first Maiden's Blush moth of the year.

After an awful night's sleep, I was up at 4.30am to check my Moth Box! Yes, totally mad, but I had to beat the Sparrows and successfully did. Phew! A Fox nearby in someone's garden was making quite a racket while I checked the outside of the Box, much to the annoyance of my dogs! A dry start to the day with a bit of cloud overhead and very little wind. It was around 10 degrees this morning, hence I wore my fleece while checking the moths.


Above, the Uncertain moth.


Another two more added to my year list; the micro moths Pied Grey (above) and Garden Grass-veneer (below).

There were a total of 43 moths of 26 species that included another four more species that were new for the year. Two ‘macro’ moths, Maiden’s Blush and Uncertain and two ‘micro’ moths Pied Grey (Eudonia delunella) and Garden Grass-veneer (Chrysoteuchia culmella) were present and although most of the other species were in single figures, including my second Sycamore of the year, there were up to 8 White Ermine moths recorded.

The moths present this morning included the following:

  • Sycamore
  • Pale Mottled Willow 3
  • Garden Carpet
  • White Ermine 8
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • Maiden’s Blush (NEW FOR YEAR)
  • Double-striped Pug 2
  • Angle Shades
  • Lime-speck Pug
  • Willow Beauty 3
  • Heart & Dart 4
  • Marbled Minor
  • L-album Wainscot
  • Uncertain (NFY)
  • Dark Arches
  • Bright-line Brown-eye
  • Green Pug
  • White-shouldered House Moth
  • Brown House Moth
  • Garden Mompha
  • Pied Grey (NFY)
  • Beautiful Plume
  • Garden Grass-veneer (NFY)
  • Blushed Knot-horn 2
  • Apple Leaf Miner
  • Ruddy Streak 2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...