Thursday, June 13, 2024

A 'lifer' moth in the Box today.

Thursday 13th June 2024.


The micro moth Dusky Marble was added to my life list.

A bright cool start to the day and this morning bodes to be quite nice, however, rain is expected for this afternoon and though it's not going to be very nice to work in this afternoon, at least it gets me out of watering the garden! I’m pleased to say that my Moth Box came up with another ‘lifer’ moth; a smart looking micro moth called DUSKY MARBLE (Orthotaenia undulana). I am surprised that I have not had one of these moths over the years as they are relatively common. 


Above, my third Light Emerald moth of the year and below, the micro moth Birch Tortrix.

Other notable moths included my 3rd Light Emerald moth of the year and another Angle Shades. Of the micro moths, both Birch Tortrix and Tawny Grey are always nice to see and just the one Box-tree Moth. Just 27 moths of 17 species today, but at least I beat the Sparrows to my Moth Box with another ‘Whathebloodyhellsthetime’ o’clock again!!! Overhead, a small group of three Goldfinches headed south and a Pied Wagtail flew high north.


The micro moth, Tawny Grey.

The moths recorded this morning were as follows:

  • Willow Beauty 6
  • Light Emerald
  • Angle Shades
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • Pale Mottled Willow 3
  • Heart & Dart 2
  • L-album Wainscot
  • Garden Carpet
  • Marbled Minor
  • White Ermine 2
  • Vines Rustic
  • Bright-line Brown-eye 2
  • Large Yellow Underwing
  • Birch Tortrix
  • Tawny Grey
  • Box-tree Moth
  • DUSKY MARBLE (LIFER)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...