Wednesday, June 12, 2024

A Cat has nine lives?

Wednesday 12th June 2024.


Two Small Dusty Wave moths on the wall where I parked in Pembroke Close.

The weather has not been too bad over the past few days, although a lot cooler than this time last year, it was bright and sunny with some high clouds. When the sun did come out behind the clouds, it was most certainly warm. No Moth Box this time around, but I did keep an eye out on the birdlife in the area, especially around Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth, today. However, it has been an interesting day where I witnessed a Cat virtually getting run over in Pembroke Road and some outrageous claims by a dodgy birder on the Hampshire site Going Birding, that had us all laughing out loud.


This Spotted Flycatcher was in the New Forest recently. Photo by Pete Appleton.

In Pembroke Road, parking the car up in Pembroke Close, I found a pair of Small Dusty Wave moths perched up near the front door of the house opposite. I always keep an eye out for possible moths here as the walls are painted white and the times I have found moths sat on white walls are numerous to say the least. On the birding scene here, a total of 14 species were noted during both shifts here that included four species of Gull again, that included a Mediterranean Gull making its way towards Portsmouth Harbour. What was interesting this afternoon was the Pied Wagtail chasing insects on the Bowling Green EVEN while people were actually playing Bowls!!


Cetti's Warbler at Fishlake Meadows. Photo by Rob Porter.

A Carrion Crow was making a loud din opposite where I was and then out of the blue, a young Crow flew out of cover, quickly followed by a Cat chasing the bird. They say that Cats have 9 lives, but running straight into a moving car, I don’t think that Cat knew about the car and I heard a loud bump and then the Cat ran back into the brambles and nettles where I think it probably sadly died from its injuries. A couple of ladies quickly ran into the area to see if the Cat was showing, but I think it ran deep into cover, though a Crow was making a din above it within a tree, looking down at the Cat. Cats take millions of birds each year and I have no fondness of the animals at all as there is enough pressure on our native wildlife to survive, let alone Cats to make their lives short. However, I am an animal lover and I don't like to see any animal suffer.  Again, I have added some fellow birders superb photos they  have taken recently. A big thank you to you guys.


Little Tern at Normandy Marshes. Photo by Emma Parkes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...