Saturday, March 30, 2024

Another new moth for the year.

Saturday 30th March 2024.


My first Garden Mompha moth of the year this morning. These are present quite often throughout the year and often winter in Garden Sheds! Their larvae's foodplant is the Willowherb.

I'm not off birding today as it is my daughter's Wedding Day; but that didn't stop me from putting the Moth trap on overnight. A bright sunny start to the day, a little cool, but at least it was dry. Unfortunately, there were only two moths in the moth box, but at least one of them was new for the year; the micro moth Garden Mompha (Mompha subbistrigella) and my second Angle Shades of the year. There was quite a bit of water in the bottom of the box due to the very heavy rain of late and so, it is currently drying out at the moment. Fingers crossed, all should go well today,  but I will keep my eye out for anything interesting (I cannot help it!). Geoff and Andy went up to north Hampshire yesterday, to the village of Dummer, hoping for Willow Tit, but no diamonds! However, they did see 120+ Siskins, 4 Marsh Tits, 3 Firecrests, 4 Chiffchaffs, 3 Red Kites and 2 Buzzards. Meanwhile, Emma and Matt Parkes scored with a Guillemot off the Meon Shore and some nice Sanderling at Hill Head.


Above, my second Angle Shades moth of the year.


Two stunning photos from Emma Parkes. Above, Sanderling at Meon Shore and below, a soaring Red Kite.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Figure of Eighty moth makes a welcome arrival.

Wednesday 8th May 2024. My third Figure of Eighty moth ever. The name of the moth comes from the white markings in the centre of the wing. T...