Monday, March 25, 2024

My first Angle Shades moth of the year.

Monday 25th March 2024.


My first Angle Shades moth of the year by the moth box early this morning.

A damp start to the week this morning though it did fizzle out as the morning went on. It was cool as well (8 degrees) with a southerly wind blowing. My first shift on Pembroke Road was fairly quiet, but not as quiet as the second shift I might add. I was constantly looking up into the brightening sky for a Hirundine to fly over or even a raptor, but neither were seen, which was disappointing. In between my shifts, I took the dogs back over Highland Road Cemetery, but it was void of any migrants again. Surely soon, my first Willow Warbler or Hirundine will fly over?


This White-shouldered House Moth was the only other moth found this morning.

Moth box: 

My day kicked off early at 6am with a check of the moth box. It was raining first thing and so I had a quick check outside of the box and found my first Angle Shades moth of the year perched nicely on the main box itself. An hour later, I came back out when the rain stopped and check the inside. Sadly, all that was present was just one moth; a White-shouldered House Moth. April is just around the corner and the moth numbers will increase (hopefully!).

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

It was quiet this morning first thing, but it started off well when a small family flock of Mute Swans flew over Governor’s Green (two adults and two juveniles) all heading east and most likely to Canoe Lake. Dunnock, Great Tit and a Blue Tit were heard singing and a Great Black-backed Gull flew low over Governor’s Green. Only 12 species were seen here this morning and just two more were added in the afternoon. A Bumblebee species quickly flew in, but did not settle and I had a Drone Fly briefly on the house wall.


Above, Dandelions were abundant in the Cemy this morning; good news for the Bumblebees. Below, a Blue Tit in one of the trees over on the west side.



Above and below, Goldfinches were still in numbers over the Cemy.



Above, you can just see this Goldcrest in the Holm Oak tree and below, one of many Robins seen this morning.



Above, the only Lesser Celandine flower I saw this morning and below, my first Herb Robert flower of the year.

Highland Road Cemetery:

Again, as mentioned before, there were no migrants found in the Cemetery, but as usual, plenty to look at again; not just the birds but also the flowers that are coming out in bloom now. Remember, this Cemetery is like a little oasis within a concrete jungle here in Southsea and there is plenty of wildlife to check up on. Just 17 species were recorded this morning and probably pick of the bunch was a Goldcrest seen briefly flitting about in the Holm Oak tree over on the east side of the Cemy. Around a dozen Goldfinch were still present, flying around the Lime Trees near the Mausoleum. My first Lesser Celandine and Herb Robert plants in the Cemetery were found in different areas and in turn, will attract the insects, especially the Dandelions that were now abundant throughout the Cemy. Not many insects were noted, though I did find a Drone Fly settling nicely on a Gravestone up until my dog Buddy stuck his big nose in and flushed the Fly. Grrrr!

The birds recorded this morning included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Great Black-backed Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Blackbird
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Goldcrest
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch  


Terry installed the last of 10 Swift nest-boxes yesterday morning. Below, some film footage of the nest-boxes put up yesterday.


Yesterday, my Window Cleaner, Terry Griffiths, came over in the morning and put up the ten Swift Boxes that my birding pal John Goodall had made for me. It took Terry nearly two hours to put the boxes up (he owned a long ladder), which included my house, and four of my neighbours' houses. Someone living up the road from me came over and asked if he could have a couple and so I shall contact John if he can knock up a few more. John made them for absolutely nothing (though I gave him some cash for doing it) and even Terry didn’t charge much for putting the boxes up. While Terry was up the ladder keeping busy, I also saw a flock of 12 Meadow Pipits flying west low over the houses.


This female Kestrel was seen in Southampton Common. Around midday, I saw a Kestrel today flying over Henderson Road, Southsea, while I was driving through. Photo by Rob Porter. 

Birding pal Geoff Farwell went birding over the Soberton area yesterday and notched up the following sightings: 5 Wheatears, 3 Firecrest, Stonechat, 2 Chiffchaff, Red Kite and a Buzzard plus a Tawny Owl heard. Emma and Matt Parkes went over to Blashford Lakes and scored with their first Sand Martins of the year. In Hampshire today, a 1st winter male Common Scoter was on Fishlake Meadows for its second day along with a few Sand Martins and Willow Warblers. Another large flock of Sand Martins were over Posbrook Floods early this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Figure of Eighty moth makes a welcome arrival.

Wednesday 8th May 2024. My third Figure of Eighty moth ever. The name of the moth comes from the white markings in the centre of the wing. T...