Friday, March 29, 2024

After Storm Nelson, a walk around the Cemy.

Friday 29th March 2024.


A 'Jenny' Wren in full song. One of several seen or heard this morning here on my 'local patch'.

Things didn't go quite according to plan this morning as I got to the Highland Road Cemetery gates at 7am this morning and found them LOCKED!!! Cursing & swearing, I unhappily walked away and took the dogs for a quick walk around the houses before making my way home. Not the greatest start to the Easter weekend and after Storm Nelson gave the south coast a right battering. Yesterday, I passed Southsea seafront on my way to both my first and second shift in Old Portsmouth and the waves were pounding the seafront with winds up to 50 to 70mph! Maybe the gates being locked were a blessing as the rain came in and it hammered down for a while!


Above, a Collared Dove among the first leaves on this tree by the main footpath, Below, Ivy-leaved Toadflax now in flower on the south perimeter wall.



Above, some of the aftermath of Storm Nelson yesterday. Plenty of branches were down throughout the Cemetery. Below, one of several male Blackbirds seen this morning and some were also in song.



Above, I eventually found this Wren sitting quietly in one of the bushes by the main footpath. Below, a female Blackbird was not worried about my dogs and I walking slowly past.



Above, the footpath over on the east side of the Cemetery looking south. Below, one of the Goldfinches within the Cemy.



Above, the beginnings of a Kidney Fern coming through on the southern perimeter wall. Below, a Blue Tit in search for insects in one of the small bushes.



Above, I think this is the first time I have seen the plant Green Alkanet growing in the Cemetery. Below, this Goldfinch was feeding on the sunflower hearts in my garden this morning. The photo was taken through glass, I might add!

Highland Road Cemetery:

Excluding a Meadow Pipit heard calling overhead, there were no migrants again seen or heard in the Cemetery this morning, but I am sure it will not be long now. Migrants are trickling through into the UK, slowly but surely, but the peak month will be April. All the usual suspects were seen today, though no sign of any Woodpeckers in the occasional very bright sunshine. The southerly wind was still fairly strong at times, but thankfully, nowhere near as strong as yesterday. A lot of broken branches were littered throughout the area and large puddles due to the downpour this morning. At least we didn't get the snow that poor old Devon and parts of Wales got yesterday!! At least ten Goldfinches were seen again with some coming quite close to where I stood. Just the one Greenfinch, a singing male, seen today perched high up in one of the smaller trees. On the plant scene, I found my first Green Alkanet plants by the perimeter wall on the west side of the Cemy. I cannot remember if I have seen them before on my local patch, but I have seen plenty of Ivy-leaved Toadflax growing on the southern perimeter wall. Nearby, I found the first leaf of a Kidney Fern growing on the same wall. My first this year.

The birds seen or heard in the Cemetery this morning included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Carrion Crow
  • Meadow Pipit
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Blackbird

Early morning in Hampshire, there were two Little Gulls on the South Scrape on Titchfield Haven this morning and a Kittiwake and Gannet seen on a seawatch from Barton on sea. Geoff and Andy are off to Dummer, in northern Hampshire this morning but sadly, I have too many preparations to do for my Step-Daughters wedding tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Carpet moth & I'm on the telly!!!

Friday 26th April 2024. Curtain Moat in Old Portsmouth. You can see Gosport in the distance and a part of the Solent. The shipping (Continen...