Sunday, February 11, 2024

Our week's holiday to North Norfolk has begun.

Saturday 10th February 2024.


Our humble abode for the forthcoming week, The Nest, situated on the edge of the town of Holt.

Becky and I finally arrived at our home base in Holt, North Norfolk around 4pm and after exploring our Cottage for the week, we unloaded the car and then made our way to the town centre for a Grocery shop. There were a few ‘stressy’ moments on the way up, especially trying to get used to the Sat Nav in Beckys car, which took us up the M11 instead of the M1! (how that way is quicker beggars belief!). The weather wasn't too bad, with a bit of rain now and then, but mostly overcast.


The rear of the house with my dogs thoroughly enjoying their new playground!

I saw my first Egyptian Goose of the year flying up into a tree as we neared Holt and good numbers of Kestrel, Common Buzzard and Red Kite along the way, though I was  a bit disappointed in not seeing any Ring-necked Parakeets flying over the M25 (normally always see at least one or two). I pointed out a Red-legged Partridge crossing one of the country roads just outside Holt to my wife as the bird made it to safety within the roadside hedge.Anyway, the Cottage looks lovely and a cracking big back garden for the dogs to run around in. Plenty of common birds flying around the garden and overhead including large numbers of Jackdaws; so I shall keep my eyes open for anything noteworthy. I am just kicking myself for not bringing along a moth box, for it looks excellent here for moths. Never mind, it should be good. I did take them for a walk this evening, though I had to take a torch as there was hardly any street lighting in the road we were staying at. I found a few mole hills in one area, the first I have seen this year. 


I had the moth box on overnight due to the overnight temperatures a lot milder than normal. The moth box attracted just two Beautiful Plume moths.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...