Monday, February 12, 2024

Spout Hills for a walk with the dogs.

Monday 12th February 2024.


The entrance to Spout Hills by the western end of Holt adjacent to the A148.

Things didn't go to plan this morning. I had plans to make my way back to Holkham Pines early this morning, but my dogs had other ideas. One of them started barking at around 3am this morning (some noises outside, I assume) and I simply could not get back to sleep and so I had to get up. By near 8am, I was knackered and so we went along with my wife's suggestion about going out to nearby Byfords for breakfast. How could I refuse? Back in the garden, while letting the dogs have a run around, both Siskins and Greenfinches were flying all around the area and a female Sparrowhawk flew in and landed on my neighbours shed roof briefly!

When we were making our way back to the car park in Holt after breakfast, I caught sight of a female Peregrine flying over and with a blue sky above it, I really missed having my camera on me for I saw every detail of this impressive raptor. I did think about making my way to Holkham, but decided to have a lazy day and went for a walk around Spouts Hill, on the outskirts of Holt with both Becky and our dogs.


Above, one of a pair of Red Kites soaring over the fields and woodland opposite the site. I noticed the incomplete tail feathers on this individual. Below, Snowdrops were abundant throughout the site.



Above, a close up of one of the Snowdrops and below, my Becky and the dogs taking a break on the site.



Above, this small pond was clear as a bell, though I did notice some Duckweed starting to grow in it. Below, this Treecreeper (right) was climbing the bough of this tree while a Blue Tit was on the other side of the tree.



Above, Snowdrops as far as the eye could see growing in this Copse and below, these tiny Toadstools were growing near where we sat on one of the benches.

I remember walking around here the last time we stayed in Holt and waited up till dusk for a Woodcock or Tawny Owl to show, but neither showed up. The place hasn't changed much, but it was a nice stroll with the dogs around the perimeter of the area. I'm sure they enjoyed stretching their legs and having a good sniff around the area. Though being white coloured dogs, we had our work cut out in getting them clean before getting them in the car! While unloading the dogs and getting my birding gear ready, I saw a pair of Red Kites soaring over the neigbouring fields and woodland and now, with a bright blue sky as a background, I was pleased with my photos of the birds.

Spout Hills was awash with Snowdrops in bloom as we made our way around the perimeter and though quite soggy still in areas, it was still a pleasant walk. There were a lot of Corvids flying overhead (Jackdaws, Carrion Crows and Rooks) and a Kestrel flew over briefly, while a Common Buzzard flew north. A few Titmice were within the small woodland and a Treecreeper showed well climbing the bough of a tree close to the main entrance. A probable Bullfinch was heard but not seen as was a Nuthatch, but it was a lovely walk with my wife and the dogs. There are some cracking birds around here in North Norfolk and very tempting they are too and so I shall decide early tomorrow morning where I am going to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...