Sunday, February 11, 2024

Holkham Pines kicks off our first outing.

Sunday 11th February 2024.


This Ruff was one of at least six birds seen west of Lady Anne's Drive this morning.

My first birding trip in North Norfolk for a few years took place today as Becky and I, with the dogs, took the 14 mile drive to Lady Anne's Drive for a nice morning walk around one of my favourite reserves. I was hoping to get there a bit earlier to avoid the many dog-walkers, ramblers etc, but on arrival at 9.30am, the car park was near empty and so quickly checking out the neightbouring fields, I got the scope ready to check for anything of note. 


Above, Teal in the flooded fields and below, a female type Marsh Harrier sailing overhead by the car park.



Above, a pair of Ruff with two drake Teal in the fields. Below, Wigeon was abundant also within the fields.

It was overcast with a westerly wind blowing across the fields that was teeming with bird life. On the way to our destination, I caught sight of my first Grey Partridge of the year; a small covey of three birds close to the roadside and also seen were good numbers of Pheasants and Red-legged Partridge. Red Kites and Common Buzzards were abundant as we drove through the countryside and a few skeins of large Geese could be seen heading north over the fields.


Above, the view overlooking the east fields looking south and below, our Buddy at Holkham Gap.



Above, Shelduck flew over Holkham Gap as was this Raven, below, that seemed to be collecting nesting material.


Checking the flooded fields either side of Lady Anne's Drive, there were large numbers of Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler and Mallard. Good numbers of Egyptian and Grey Lag Geese were noted out in the fields and overhead, several skeins of Pink-footed Geese flew over (adding to my year list). There were also plenty of waders out in the fields that included my first Ruff of the year. In fact, I counted at least 6 birds over on the west side, while Dunlin, Golden Plover, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Redshank and Oystercatcher were all seen. In all honesty, I could have stayed here all day waiting patiently for birds flying onto the fields. Meadow Pipits and Skylarks were also seen in the fields and overhead, a few Red Kites and Buzzards sailed slowly over and I even counted at least four Marsh Harriers (2 males and 2 females) all sitting on the ground together! A pair of Great White Egrets were also out in the fields and though remained distant, they still stood out like sore thumbs under a grey sky.


Above, the second Raven flew in and headed off south towards Holkham Pines and below, dark-bellied Brent Geese on the Saltmarsh within Holkham Gap.



Above, Becky in the distance walking the dogs at Holkham Gap and below, the boys on their way back to me.

My dogs were well behaved both on and off their leads when we walked around Holkham Gap. This is the first time I have allowed them to run without their leads on and they came back every time when we called them. Becky has trouble walking far and so I did not venture too far along the beach, though checking out the sea was very tempting. We got as far as the ‘roped off area’ where the Shorelarks were supposed to be, but luckily for me, I spotted one flying low over the Saltmarsh heading west, though it did land a long way off for a photo. Apparently, 15 birds were still on the beach area, where I thought they might be. Skylarks were in good numbers here and many were in song. Both Meadow and Rock Pipits were also present in smaller numbers on the saltmarsh along with a good size flock of Brent Geese and at least 40 Shelduck.


Above, several Redshank were seen by the car park and below, I 'digiscoped' this Great White Egret out in the fields. 



Above and below, this Red Kite drifted over Lady Anne's Drive.

Becky wanted to sit down on the bench overlooking Holkham Gap and from here, I set up my scope and I could even pick out a distant flock of Common Scoter in Holkham Bay. Among these, I picked out several drake Velvet Scoter, my first of the year, as well as a distant Diver heading west, which was most likely a Great Northern Diver. Just sitting here was enjoyable. All you could hear was the distant roar of the sea in the distance that reminded me of the distant hum of the M27 from our house late at night............but more enjoyable! I have been here many times in the past and all enjoyable experiences with sightings such as Shorelarks and Snow Buntings, the Geese flying in and even a 'twitch' to see my first ever Desert Wheatear that I managed to see at dusk! We finished our trip here with a warm Sausage Roll and a Hot Chocolate from the cafe (arguably, the most expensive I have ever come across!!!), while enjoying distant views of a pair of Great White Egrets, Marsh Harriers sailing overhead and hundreds of waders and wildfowl out in the fields. Fantastic. A cracking start to the week here, with five more ‘year-ticks’ under my belt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...