Thursday, May 9, 2024

Swifts increasing in numbers over my house.

Thursday 9th May 2024.


Male Batman Hoverflies were abundant in my garden this evening.

Yet another beautiful day in Hampshire with temperatures well into double figures today. I was told last night that a south-easterly wind was predicted for today although the winds were going to be quite light. It was that info that put me off doing an hours sea-watch overlooking the Solent after my first shift and I probably dipped on a probable Arctic Skua going past. Four were seen off Sandy Point this morning and an Arctic Tern as well. On top of this, both Bee-eater and Woodchat Shrike were seen today in Hampshire, the latter seen near New Milton and hopefully, just might linger into the weekend?

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

Up to 14 species were noted this morning on my first shift, but I could not add to that this afternoon and again, there was nothing out of the ordinary today. I am always keeping an eye open for anything of note overhead and hopefully, something good might just fly over. Yesterday, a Purple Heron had been found in the morning and later seen during the day briefly at Titchfield Haven. There have been many reports of this species in various areas of the UK and it just so happens that when I was driving back to my house along the seafront, I did see a Heron species out of the corner of my eye flying west; but I had no chance in turning round in time to view the bird properly with cars on my tail. It certainly looked interesting.  


This male Hairy-footed Flower Bee was one of several enjoying the plants in my garden this afternoon and early evening. 

My garden:

After buying a lot of plants last weekend, I thought they would definitely need watering due to the warm weather over the past few days. I checked out the number of Swifts overhead and there were at least a dozen birds screaming away and chasing one another. I have been reading reports of some Hampshire Swifts returning to their respective nest-boxes already and so it shouldn't be long now for ours to return. I am so looking forward to it. Good numbers of Bees and Hoverflies were in my garden early in the evening including good numbers of Hairy-footed Flower Bees (mostly males) and Batman Hoverflies. Holly Blue butterflies were chasing each other around the bushes and trees by my garden too and hopefully, my Buddleia plant will be flowering soon and should in turn bring in more butterflies. We have planted two more Buddleia plants in the corner of our garden (I'm still seething in having to cut down our old Buddleia tree as my wife wanted a multi coloured one, which incidentally, died!!!).


An female Early Epistrophe (Epistrophe eligans) bathing in the sunshine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...