Friday, February 9, 2024

Don't let the rain put you off!

Friday 9th February 2024.


A very wet start to my walk around my local patch this morning.

It was dry when I left my house this morning to take the dogs for their morning walk around Highland Road Cemetery, but as soon as I entered the grounds, the heavens opened! Wonderful! The forecast today is rain showers with a breezy south-westerly wind and I think I caught most of those showers during the hour I was within the Cemetery. Never mind, as there were at least 17 species of birds on show today and more Daffodils were out in bloom; reminding me that Spring and migrants are just around the corner. However, there is still a lot of birding to do and with my forthcoming trip to Norfolk tomorrow, I am hoping to mop up some of the more scarcer winter species.


Above, at least 7 Collared Doves in the Conifer this morning along with a few Wood Pigeons. Below, this Wood Pigeon, which was feeding on the Ivy berries, popped its head out right by the main footpath. 

It was back to the common stuff within the Cemetery and what better than watching a Robin sing just feet away from where you are standing. So I took some film footage of the bird through my camera (see below), one of several birds in full song this morning, despite the rain lashing down. Blackbirds seemed to be all over the place including a few birds, again, perching on gravestones just a few feet from the main footpath.


It is simply a pleasure just to stand and listen to a Robin singing when you are just a few feet away from the bird.

The Green Woodpecker was first heard and then seen in the tall Horse Chestnut trees to the south of the Mausoleum and I managed to get a record photo of the bird perched on the bough of the tree and a pair of Jays were seen flying north over the Cemetery until disappearing into vegetation. The rain did not let up and so I made a hasty retreat back home to dry off. I have a busy day today getting everything ready for tomorrow's long drive, but I am so looking forward to it.


Above, Daffodils brightened up a dull, miserable morning here and below, the rain did not put off this Robin singing its heart out.



Above, this Jay showed briefly and was joined by a second bird. Probably its mate? Below, the Green Woodpecker put in an appearance and kindly perched out in the open for a change. It is always good to see them here.

The birds seen this morning in the Cemetery included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove (10+)
  • Starling
  • Blue Tit
  • Goldfinch
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Carrion Crow
  • Jay (2)
  • Magpie
  • Green Woodpecker
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Blackbird
  • Song Thrush

I was reading on Facebook about a few disgruntled people moaning about the lack of writing and more about the photos on the Hampshire Birding Pages. I agreed with fellow birder Matt Parkes that the whole point of the site is about both issues: photos, birding experiences and sightings and really, what makes birders enjoy their hobby. Less of the criticism. If you don't want to read it, then don't. The quality of bird photos today is second to none and the sharper and closer the bird, then everyone is happy. You need either a bit of luck or some extremely expensive gear these days to get some of the quality photos, but I am more than happy with my Panasonic Lumix Bridge Camera and though not the best and sharpest quality at times, I am happy with just photographing what I see. Besides, I have some good friends who are more than happy for me to use their excellent photos. Sad news this morning, when a dead Puffin was found on the beach at Lepe. I have never seen a Puffin in Hampshire and very unlikely too as well, though one did fly past Selsey Bill last month. Happy birding everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...