Monday, March 13, 2023

More from Blashford from last Saturday.

Monday 13th March 2023.


Male and female Siskin and a male Greenfinch on the feeder in front of the Woodland Hide, Blashford, last Saturday.

I happened to take a lot of photos when I was over Blashford Lakes last Saturday and so I thought I would put the remaining photos on tonight on my blog. Yesterday, it was confirmed by a well known regular to Blashford Lakes that a female Scaup was present, which really got the brain matter thinking. I remember seeing a female Tufted Duck from the Tern Hide, that was swimming over on the northern end of Ibsley Water and remarked to both Andy Fisher and Pete Appleton, who were present at the time, that this particular female Tufted Duck had a lot of white above the base of the bill, but I dismissed it as a female Tufted Duck, though I did have my suspicions that it most certainly could of been a female Scaup.


Above, one of the Nuthatches feeding on the feeder again in front of the Woodland Hide, Blashford. Below, a male Grey Wagtail in front of the Tern Hide.



Above, this drake Pochard slowly swam in front of the Tern Hide. Below, this superb female Marsh Harrier sailed over the Goosander Hide.



Above, this Wren was slightly obscured by a branch, but most certainly packed in a loud song by the Goosander Hide. Below, Lords & Ladies plants were starting to poke out of the leaf litter along the footpaths of Blashford Lakes. This plant was featured on the new David Attenborough programme, Wild Isles and I discovered via the programme that they actually trap insects! 

So, I have already apologised to Andy and told him that it was going to go on my year list, which now stands at 145 species for the year (and all seen in Hampshire!). I did not go birding yesterday or today, though I did see and pointed out to my Granddaughter and her mother, an adult Mediterranean Gull flying along the shoreline of Southsea beach this afternoon, as we made our way to the Coffee Cup cafe along the promenade.


Above, one of the two Lesser Redpolls seen in front of the Woodland Hide last Saturday morning. This one is a female bird. Below, a female Goldeneye that swam close to the Tern Hide earlier in the morning. Both photos by Pete Appleton.



Above, the Great Grey Shrike seen near Denny Wood and Shatterford Car Park. Thankfully, both Andy and myself saw the bird, albeit extremely distantly, when we were there last month. Photo by Graeme Loader.

The female Scaup was still present today along with a couple of Sand Martins reported as well and for those who wanted to seriously boost their year list, a female Ring-necked Duck was found on Wellington Park near Reading yesterday and still present today. It is right on the border of north Hampshire and though a bit expensive to get in there to view the bird, HOS members were getting a good discount. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...