Thursday, March 16, 2023

A small fall of Chiffchaffs in the Cemy.

Thursday 16th March 2023.


The male Sparrowhawk high up in the Plane tree in Highland Road Cemetery this morning. It was seen well twice this morning.

On what was supposed to be a showery day here on the south coast, it turned out to be complete garbage again. I met up with a pal of mine for a coffee at the Coffee Cup cafe, on the seafront at Eastney early this morning and though there was some overhead cloud cover, it soon departed north (probably due to the breezy southerly wind) and bright sunshine and blue sky took its place! 


Above, Common Field Speedwell growing abundantly on the graves. Below, I have always wondered what this small plant was and this morning I finally got an answer from those plant buffs on Facebook. It is in fact Cutleaf Geranium.

While enjoying the coffee, I had a seat overlooking the beach and I got to see up to a dozen or so Mediterranean Gulls flying over in singles or small flocks. The Brent Geese were also on the move, with several small skeins flying east high over the beach. Had a great catch up with my mate who has just come back from Australia and was full of chat as always. We walked from my house to the Coffee Cup and back again, which put me in good stead for a walk around Highland Road Cemetery and so, once I got home, I grabbed my birding gear and took a leisurely stroll to my ‘local patch’. 





At least four Chiffchaffs were noted during this morning's walk around the Cemetery including a 'ringed' individual (second from top), though not close enough to get any numerals on the ring. 

Though there were no Wheatears seen on the beach while at the Coffee Cup earlier, there was always a chance of one lingering within the Cemetery. I have seen them here in past Springs, but not this morning. Instead, there must have been a small fall of Chiffchaffs this morning within the Cemetery and although none were heard singing, all were calling in different areas of the Cemetery. Lovely to see them flitting about the blossoming Cherry trees.


Both Blue (above) and Great Tits (below) were in good song this morning.

The male Sparrowhawk put in an appearance twice this morning; firstly over on the west side high up in one of the Lime Trees and then over in the north-east corner where it perched up high in the Plane tree of which I got some pretty nice photos of the bird. All the usual species were present and seeing 21 species this morning including a flyover Pied Wagtail and Meadow Pipit, boosted the numbers considerably. I did bump into a dog-walker who was walking her three children and told me that a pair of Green Woodpeckers were seen over in the north-east corner. I have not seen them this year and so I quickly took a walk over there, but, sadly, there was no sign of the birds.


Above, this Yellow-legged Mining Bee was attracted by the Daffodils over on the east side of the Cemetery and below, my first Marmalade Hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus) was also seen nearby.

Still, a good hours birding there. Though the sun was out and once out of the breeze, it got quite warm which encouraged a few Hoverflies and Bees on the wing. Still no butterflies on the wing here, but I am sure it will not be long now before we get a few flying round.

The male Sparrowhawk in the Plane Tree this morning.

Birds seen or heard within the Cemy this morning included the following:

  • Sparrowhawk (male)
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • House Sparrow
  • Robin
  • Starling
  • Wren
  • Chiffchaff
  • Meadow Pipit
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Collared Dove
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Blackbird
  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Great Black-backed Gull
  • Great Tit
  • Blue Tit

Above, the male Sparrowhawk this time over on the west side of the Cemetery where first seen. Below, the Cemetery has just recently had the grass mown there.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...