Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Migrants arriving on the south coast.

Wednesday 15th March 2023.


One of the Mediterranean Gulls on Eastney Beach this afternoon.

Bird migration is most certainly on its way with sightings of Wheatears, Sand Martins and Little Ringed Plovers being reported at various south coast localities and so I thought I would go in search for a migrant along both Southsea and Eastney Beach this afternoon. A good southerly wind was blowing overnight and today and so it looked very promising for a migrant or two. Yesterday, a male Wheatear was found late afternoon on Farlington Marshes (see photo) and today, there were three birds at the same locality this morning (2 males and a female). Over in West Sussex, Medmerry RSPB Reserve hosted a pair of Little Ringed Plovers and a Wheatear this morning. Further afield, a Stone Curlew was found at Beddington Farmlands, near Croydon.


Above, the Bandstand field by Southsea Castle still in developement.


Above, a lone Black-headed Gull (left) with two Med Gulls. Below, adult Med Gull (left) with another Black-headed Gull on Eastney Beach.

Sadly, despite a good search along both beaches, there was no sign of any Wheatears on the beach nor over by Eastney Point. I kicked off by having a look for the Purple Sandpipers at Southsea Castle and although the Sea Defence Development is not too far from completion, I think there was too much disturbance going on and I could not find a single bird. In fact, apart from House Sparrows, Starlings and Wood Pigeons, I virtually saw bugger all, except for a distant Oystercatcher flying east!


Above, one of the Med Gulls settled on the beach close to where I stood. Below, one of eight Greenfinches by the edge of the Water Treatment Works, Eastney Point.

So I turned my attention to the beach at Eastney where I pulled the car over and checked the Gull flocks first of all. Among them, I found at least three Mediterranean Gulls among the Black-headed Gulls and I simply could not resist in getting some nice photos of the Meds, especially now they are in full summer dress. A good scan up and down the beach produced no Wheatears and so I took one last gamble and made my way to the Water Treatment Work at Eastney Outfall.


Above, some of the 70+ Brent Geese that were feeding in the field near the car park by Eastney Point. Below, a Batman Hoverfly (Myathropa florea) that was perched on my kitchen back door last Sunday! 

The car park there is fraught with danger with monstrous pot-holes and so gingerly, I took the car to the far end of the car park, parked up and took a stroll over to the field near by. Yet again, a good search over the grass and scrub produced no Wheatears, but a large flock of feeding Brent Geese (approximately 70+ birds in total) were  present as was a small flock of 8 Greenfinch by the perimeter fence. The rain started to fall a little heavier now and so after checking the empty harbour entrance, I made my way back home.


Above, the male Wheatear on Farlington Marshes early evening yesterday. Photo by Ollie Crabbe.


Above, a Corn Bunting and below, a male Yellowhammer. Both seen and photographed at Toyd Down by Andy Tew.







   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...