Saturday, January 14, 2023

Some flooded footpaths over the Cemy.

Saturday 14th January 2023.


Overcast and stormy conditions when I first took a walk into the Cemetery early this afternoon.

I knew most of Saturday was going to be a washout with heavy rain accompanied by a strong westerly wind and so I cancelled this morning's birding with Andy and had a lazy day indoors with my wife, but not before a big breakfast in Mumms Cafe in nearby Albert Road! Thankfully, the rain eased up just after midday and so I took a stroll around Highland Road Cemetery to check not only what damage the wind and rain had done, but also if there were any Woodpeckers on show today. Still have not seen one this year! Shocking!




From top to bottom: a flock of Goldfinches over the Cemetery; Starlings in their usual tree in the southern half of the Cemetery and below, I dont think I have ever been around the Cemy with some of the footpaths being flooded. Just goes to show how much rain we have had of late.

I'll cut to the chase; there were no Woodpeckers whatsoever in the Cemy this afternoon which was very disappointing, though the grim weather didn't help somewhat! The rain came in again while I was walking around, though I didn't really get a soaking as I hid underneath a large overhanging bush in the centre of the Cemy. From this viewpoint looking east, I added a Great Black-backed Gull, Song Thrush and Jay to my trip here that consisted of 19 species for my walk around my local patch. 




From top to bottom: Goldfinches sharing a tree with a Collared Dove; this Robin singing by the footpath was one of several singing Robins and bottom photo, the Great Black-backed Gull which landed on a rooftop by the Cemy with a Herring Gull in attendance. 

Earlier today, I had seen a female Sparrowhawk soaring over the gardens behind, which the Herring Gulls alerted me too with their alarm calls. Back in the Cemetery, a female Chaffinch was present, a species that is uncommon here and seen around the Mausoleum area. There was a healthy flock of Goldfinch seen here today with at least 40+ birds present with a few Greenfinch among them. There was just the one Jay seen, but a showy individual that was seen several times.




From top to bottom: the Jay showed well again this afternoon. A male Greenfinch and a female Blackbird were both near the Mausoleum.

Bird species seen this afternoon in the Cemetery included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Great Black-backed Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • House Sparrow
  • Blackbird
  • Song Thrush
  • Starling
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie 
  • Jay
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Chaffinch (f)
  • Blue Tit
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon 

Other than birds, the only flowers I found were a few Daisies on show in the damp grass and the Common Groundsel, which was everywhere around the graves. I did find a Hoverfly species that was perched on the bush where I was sheltering from the rain. Thankfully, the experts on the Facebook UK Hoverfly site identified my photo of the Hoverfly as a male Melescaeva auricollis.




From top to bottom: Turkey-tail Fungus growing on one of the old tree stumps near the Mausoleum. A lot of branches had come down due to the strong winds of late and below, the male Melescaeva auricollis Hoverfly.

Some ‘Lazee Birders’ were watching from Hill Head this morning and came up trumps with a Little Auk flying around over the Solent and eventually landed on the sea some 400 metres out and lost to view. I wonder if this is the same bird that was seen fly west off Selsey Bill last month? A Fulmar was also seen heading west over the Solent. Yet again, the adult Sabine’s Gull was showing well on the small island on Southmoor and entertaining the crowds coming down to see this rare Arctic gull. There were reports of some over-keen photographers climbing fences to get their ‘money shot’ of the bird and consequently disturbing other birds present. Glad I wasn't there, because I cannot keep my mouth shut when those idiots do this.


This male Blackbird was one of at least ten birds of this species present this afternoon.

A Long tailed Duck was seen off Black Point, Hayling Island,  this morning along with 4 Great Northern Divers by Andy J and yesterday, some chap reported that he saw the Little Owl back at Fort Cumberland! I have tried twice over the past few weeks to no avail; so I shall have another look in the coming week. There is talk of possible snow again in the early part of next week. Cold weather is expected to return for a few days, which could possibly bring in something rare alongside the Sabine's Gull?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...