Sunday, January 8, 2023

My first Sabine's Gull in Hampshire.

Sunday 8th January 2023.

The adult Sabine's Gull flying off Budd's Farm Sewage Outfall, with a Cormorant nearby.

Well, who would've believed that an adult Sabine’s Gull in summer plumage would be found in Langstone Harbour off the Budds Farm Sewage Outfall? I got a text this morning from Andy Fisher to say a Sabine’s Gull was off Southmoor (which I thought was a joke at first) then checking the Hants Rarities App, it confirmed that there was one there. One problem, I was looking after Isabelle and she most definitely did not want to take a ride to me to see the Gull. Sob!


The Sabine's Gull now settled on the water.

Luckily, Becky and Sinead got back from shopping and I got the green light from my wife to make my way in the heavy rain up to Bedhampton Slipway to view the bird. When you are in a hurry, the traffic always seems to go that much slower; especially the horrible Eastern Road out of Portsmouth. The rain was getting heavier as I entered the Bedhampton Slipway and joined around 4 other birders already present. I did not recognise any of them, but one allowed me a quick look through his scope to view the bird which was settled on the water among a few Black-headed and Herring Gulls.

The Sabine's Gull (right) with a Black-headed Gull.

I quickly grabbed my camera and reeled off some photos of the bird, knowing full well that they were most certainly not going to be the best in the world. I could see quite a few birders on the footpath by Budd's Farm getting a far better view of this superb Arctic gull, but I made do with viewing from the Slipway. The bird did take flight a few times, showing off the distinctive wing pattern, but eventually settled on the water again. This was my 308th species seen in Hampshire and a cracking bird to have on my Hampshire list. I have seen a few in the past and I can't even remember my first Sabine’s Gull, which was seen many years ago off Bridport.


On its own.

While I was there, I checked the other Gulls present thoroughly for a Mediterranean Gull, but all I could find were Black-headed, Herring and Common Gulls bobbing on the water. I had a chat with ‘Lazee Birder’, Andy Friend, who had dropped and refound his mobile phone! Thoroughly soaked, it was time to go home as I promised Becky that I would be home asap; so despite the horrible weather, a superb bird was added today. Other good birds seen in Hampshire today included the long-staying Tree Sparrow at Chilling Barns, a Grey Phalarope on the Avon Flood at Keyhaven, a Manx Shearwater off Barton-on-sea and the 4 Glossy Ibis on Posbrook Floods.


Above, the Sabine's Gull in-between a Black-headed Gull and a Herring Gull. Below, a far better photo of the adult Sabine's Gull off Budd's Farm Sewage Outfall. Photos by Andy Friend.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...