Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Glossy Ibis showing well by the Canal Path.

Wednesday 11th January 2023.


The adjacent Canal was near bursting its banks and in some places, it was! 

I knew some horrible wet weather was arriving this afternoon and so I took a late morning walk down the Canal Path at Titchfield, before the worst of the weather arrived. There was so heavy traffic making its way east on the M27 and it had a massive knock on effect within main streets in Fareham, but thankfully, I was going westbound. The weather held this morning till my departure, but I could see the storm clouds brewing to the west after picking up four more nice ‘year-ticks’ for my year list.


Above, this Squirrel did not upset the sleeping Barn Owl within the 'split tree' along the Canal Path. Below, a male Stonechat in the fields near the Bridge Street Floods.

Four Glossy Ibis have been frequenting the Posbrook Floods over the past few days and so I was reasonably hopeful they would still be there, but not before checking the usual ‘split tree’ for the Barn Owl to the west of the Path. Sure enough, one of the birds (there were two present on Monday) showed well and was totally unaware of the presence of a nearby Squirrel! Nothing was going to spoil its beauty sleep! This was my first Barn Owl of the year and one of our most reliable ones, though I would really like to have seen it hunting over the fields, but one needs to be here around dusk to see that.


Above and below, Black-tailed Godwit on Posbrook Floods.

The Canal itself looked fit to burst its banks due to the amount of rain we have had of late and the Bridge Street Floods were exactly that; flooded! However, there were a good number of wildfowl there including Wigeon, Teal, Pintail, Shoveler and a small skein of Canada Geese. A male Stonechat was seen in the edge of some tall grass and I did hear the scolding call of a Cetti’s Warbler, but failed to see the bird. Bugger! A Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard calling briefly as well, but somehow eluded me.


Above, more Black-tailed Godwit arriving on the Posbrook Floods. Below, one of the four Glossy Ibis seen preening.

There were a few birders making their way south down the path, on their way to view the Ibis no doubt and some armed with some mighty looking long-lens cameras. I checked out the area where they were most likely to be on the Posbrook Floods and I found the four Glossy Ibis on the edge of the water among a large flock of Black-tailed Godwit. So I walked further down the path to be adjacent to the birds and managed to grab some nice photos and film of the birds. These birds have been in the area now for some time and fingers crossed, they might stay to breed this year, which would be a magnificent achievement. The birds were quite inactive at first, mostly preening until a low flying Helicopter went overhead and everything, including the Glossy Ibis, were up and away.


Above, three of the four Glossy Ibis on Posbrook Floods. Below, film footage of one of the birds preening.

Thankfully, the birds all returned safely down to the ground to start feeding among the Godwit. I was happy with what I saw and checking the darkening clouds to the west, I slowly made my way back to the car, but not before checking the Gulls on Posbrook Floods. Among all the Gulls, I managed to pick out my first Mediterranean Gull of the year, but it got better when a pair of Water Pipits flew low over my head and I could clearly see how pale they were and also the call gave it away too. This was my 4th ‘year-tick’ of the day which now put me on 113 species for the year.




From top to bottom, this adult Mediterranean Gull was my first for the year, the Glossy Ibis in flight after being disturbed by a passing Helicopter and thankfully, settled down again among the Black-tailed Godwit.

Walking further north to the car park, the call of a Chiffchaff stopped me in my tracks as I spotted a pair perched on the thin branches of a fallen tree. Nearby, a Robin and Great Tit share the same branches and I could hear, yet again, another Cetti’s Warbler calling, but again, no sign of the bird. Still, it was a good 90 minutes birding with some cracking birds seen. I was very lucky with the weather as it was getting a bit dark to the west. Someone had a count of 321 Black-tailed Godwit present here and the same birder heard a Green Sandpiper calling as well.




From top to bottom: a Fox was standing on the reserve watching me go past, a Robin and Great Tit share the same fallen tree as did this Chiffchaff.

The Sabine’s Gull is still present around Southmoor and has taken a liking for the flooded field now, though has been mobile. A flock of 9 Red-throated Divers went west through the Solent from Hill Head this morning and the Tree Sparrow is still present at Chilling Barns. 


Above, the sleepy Barn Owl within the 'split tree' and below, the Glossy Ibis feeding with the Black-tailed Godwit on Posbrook Floods.



One of the best photos of the adult Sabine's Gull I have seen so far at Southmoor. Photo by Christine Whiffen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...