Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Two more moth 'year-ticks'.

Wednesday 29th June 2022.


White Plume moth. My first of the year, which was found at Portchester Crematorium this morning.

Another busy day at work which took me to Portchester Crematorium early this morning and then to St. Peter St. Mary’s Church at Fishbourne, near Chichester. Much cooler of late, there were a few sporadic light rain showers around which we got caught in a few, but it was mostly a pleasant day in the sunshine and roughly around 18 degrees throughout the day.


Crambus pascuella was another moth that was new for the year.

First thing this morning, we had to be at Portchester Crematorium for 8.30am and so having a bit of spare time, I gave the South Chapel exit and the Flower bay a good sweep for moths. I came up with a couple more ‘year-ticks’ when I found a smart White Plume Moth and also one of the Grass micro moth species, Crambus pascuella; all by the South Chapel exit. Also present there were the micro moths Pediasia contaminella, 2 Common Plumes and a Bee Moth. The only ‘macro’ moths present were a Small Dusty Wave and a Double-striped Pug. 


Pediasia contaminella. I have seen this species here earlier in the year. 

I saw a lot of Swifts today, especially around where the M27 goes into the M275 southbound, with at least 20+ birds present and flying quite low over the road, which made me wonder if there were going to be any casualties? Hopefully not. Along the top of Portsdown Hill, both a male Kestrel and a Common Buzzard were hovering above the road, but little else was seen along this stretch. Over at Fishbourne, the churchyard there held a Green Woodpecker that was seen flying low over the graveyard and a male Kestrel flew low over as well as I pointed it out to my work colleagues.


St. Peter St. Mary's Church at Fishbourne, West Sussex.


This gorgeous Purple Emperor butterfly was found by 'Lazee Birder' Matt Parkes while at work in a Glasshouse. I personally have never seen this species yet, but hopefully will rectify that soon.



A couple of superb Little Tern at Normandy Marsh, Hampshire. Photos by Andy Tew.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...