Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Second Eyed Hawk-moth of the year.

Thursday 30th June 2022.


This micro moth Pammene fasciana was new for the year.

A cool and slightly overcast start to the morning as we enter the last day of June and yes, it's up early again to check my moth box. There was a bit of overnight rain, but again, nothing as much as was predicted and my garden looked quite dry on the patio area. There were at least 34 moths of 21 species recorded this morning that included my second Eyed Hawk-moth of the year, albeit a very tatty individual, which I eventually placed carefully in one of my hanging baskets. Also present was my second Swallow-tailed Moth of the year, I think one of our most beautiful delicate moths and I will go as far as saying ‘Angel-like’! 


My second Swallow-tailed Moth in my garden this year.

New for the year were two micro moths, Pammene fasciana and Bud Moth with two of each. To add a bit of colour, both Gold Triangle and Meal Moth were present too.   

My second Eyed Hawk-moth of the year. 

The following moths were present this morning:

  • 1 Eyed Hawk-moth
  • 1 Single-dotted Wave
  • 4 White Ermine
  • 2 Riband Wave
  • 1 Lychnis
  • 2 Double-striped Pug
  • 6 Lime-speck Pug
  • 1 Garden Carpet
  • 1 Swallow-tailed Moth
  • 1 Uncertain
  • 1 Cabbage Moth
  • 3 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 4 Common Plume
  • 1 Broom Shoot Moth  
  • 1 Meal Moth
  • 2 Celypha striana
  • 1 Bee Moth
  • 1 Gold Triangle
  • 1 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 2 Pammene fasciana (NFY)
  • 2 Bud Moth (NFY)

A rather worn Lychnis moth, my second of the year, was present on top of the box.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...