Monday, June 27, 2022

Low numbers of moths this morning.

Tuesday 27th June 2022.


My first Common Footman moth of the year.

It was back to the moths this morning of which there was a relatively small catch today. I awoke to a clear blue sky overhead and with the current temperature around 13 degrees, I was not surprised by the numbers. In fact, there was hardly anything on the white sheet and only a few moths outside the box. Nevertheless, there was a new moth for the year, a Common Footman, which was the first of this family to arrive in my garden this year. Also present was my second Elephant Hawk-moth of the year, which is always pleasing on the eye. There was just 19 moths of 15 species this morning.


My second Elephant Hawk-moth of the year was always a bonus.

The following moths were present this morning:

  • 3 Willow Beauty
  • 1 White Ermine
  • 1 Elephant Hawk-moth
  • 1 Common Footman (NFY)
  • 2 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 1 Box-tree Moth
  • 1 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 1 L-album Wainscot
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Common Pug
  • 1 Udea prunalis
  • 2 Common Plume
  • 1 Endotricha flammeus
  • 1 Mompha subbistrigella
  • 1 Chrysoteuchia culmella  

Yesterday, I saw my second Osprey of the year when I was driving northbound over the M275. The bird was flying quite low over the road and heading towards Portsmouth Harbour, but there was no subsequent sighting after this from any other birder that day. A few Common Buzzards and a Kestrel were seen while driving over Portsdown Hill as I made my way to Portchester that morning as well. Back over The Oaks Crematorium, up to three Mistle Thrushes were seen close to the main road when I entered the premises, searching for food on the grass beside the trees and a Skylark was seen singing as it rose into the sky. There was not a single moth by the Book of Remembrance building. Grumble! 


Willow Beauties.

On Farlington Marshes yesterday, the pair of Glossy Ibis was still present around the Deeps area and a probably returning Green Sandpiper was seen on Posbrook Floods. Some excellent photos are being currently shown on the 'Lazee Birders' Whatsapp as some of them are touring the east of the UK, notably Norfolk for the breeding Bee-eaters at Trimmingham, plus Caspian Terns and Hoopoe. I am well jealous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...