Friday, June 10, 2022

Two micro moths new for the year.

Saturday 11 June2022.


My first Hawthorn Moth of the year.

I had a feeling it was going to be quiet regarding the moths this morning, for when I put my moth box light on last night, there was a clear sky overhead and a quick check on my Weather App revealed that it was going to be a clear and cool night. Nevertheless, I still did get a few moths and even two were new for the year. In total, 32 moths of 17 species were recorded and a much better total from the micro moths. 


Cypress Tip Moth. These are really tiny micro moths and if it wasn't for my reading glasses, I could of easily overlooked this moth. They are a regular micro moth to my box at this time of year.

The following moths were present this morning:

  • 1 Yellow-barred Brindle
  • 2 Common Pug
  • 1 Lime-speck Pug
  • 2 Willow Beauty
  • 4 White Ermine
  • 1 Heart & Dart
  • 1 L-album Wainscot
  • 1 Straw Dot
  • 1 Hawthorn Moth (NFY)
  • 1 Common Plume
  • 1 Brown House Moth
  • 4 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 3 Apple Leaf Miner
  • 1 Bryotropha affinis
  • 2 Celypha striana
  • 2 Mompha subbistrigella
  • 4 Cypress Tip Moth (NFY)

Yesterday, again I was keeping an eye out for anything interesting of note and my day kicked off nicely at work with a fine Red Kite soaring low over the houses around the Paulsgrove area (Southampton Road to be precise), where this individual was seen flying first south and then return north towards Portsdown Hill. I was in stationary traffic at the time, but it was always nice to see this bird. Over at our Fareham Branch, around the back of the branch I found a Cinnabar Moth fluttering about low in the grass and quickly cupped it with my hands to show my work colleagues. Such stunning moths with their black and red colouring. I really didn't get the chance to check out the moths at Portchester Crematorium properly, though I did find a Willow Beauty on the wall at the back of the Crem. Apart from that, all was rather quiet today. 


Straw Dot moth. This was one of the first moths that arrived to my moth box last night and so quickly potted it for a decent photo of it the following day. 

In Hampshire yesterday, the two Glossy Ibis remained faithful to the Posbrook Floods and showed well right out in the open (tomorrow perhaps I might get to see these birds?). A possible Black Kite drifted over Fishlake Meadows and interesting but alarming news concerns the Wood Warblers in the New Forest. Only two pairs have been recorded so far this year, plus 8 singing males in territory. The theory is that they are moving further north and west away from the County. I think Andy and I were probably lucky to see our bird a few weeks ago at Bolderwood.

Late morning news: I rescued a Garden Pebble moth from the Bird bath this morning as I was watering the garden. I left it on a table in the sunshine to dry out and I think it made a full recovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...