Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Another 5 new moths for the year.

Tuesday 7th June 2022.

My first Bordered Straw moth of the year. This individual was about to fly off hence the blurred wings.

There was a light drizzle early this morning at 4.45am when I ventured out into the murky dawn, but I could see it was going to be a good morning for moths with quite a few already on top of the rain guard as I settled down with a hot cup of coffee, ready to see what ‘Mothy’ wonders I had this morning. There were at least 70 moths of 33 species present this morning with five moths that were new for the year including Bordered Straw, Lychnis, Treble Brown Spot, Silver-ground Carpet and the micro moth, Codling moth. Most unusual in the garden this morning was a Jay! The bird flew in and landed by my Buddliea tree and then slipped its way through the vegetation at the back of the garden then flew off north! I normally get a few around the Autumn time flying high over the house, but I think its the first time I have seen one actually in my garden. 


Another new moth for the year, a rather smart Treble Brown Spot.

The following moths were present: 

  • 1 Bee Moth
  • 7 Willow Beauty
  • 2 Heart & Dart
  • 2 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 12 Lime-speck Pug
  • 3 Common Pug
  • 2 Yellow-barred Brindle
  • 1 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 2 Light Emerald
  • 1 Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • 3 Vines Rustic
  • 1 Varied Coronet
  • 1 Riband Wave
  • 4 White Ermine
  • 1 Small Square-spot
  • 1 Bordered Straw (NFY)
  • 1 Lychnis (NFY)
  • 1 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 1 Silver Y
  • 5 Common Marbled Carpet
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Treble Brown Spot (NFY)
  • 1 Silver-ground Carpet (NFY)
  • 2 Common Plume
  • 1 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 2 Ephestia woodiella
  • 1 Codling Moth (NFY)
  • 1 Mompha subbistrigella
  • 1 Chrysoteuchia culmella
  • 1 Eudonia angustea
  • 2 Eudonia lacustrata
  • 1 Apple Leaf Miner
  • 3 Bryotropha affinis

Lychnis.


Codling Moth.

At work today, I checked thoroughly the South exit at Portchester Crematorium and the neighbouring Flower Bays for moths, but all I could find were singles of Double-striped Pug, Small Dusty Wave, Willow Beauty, Garden Carpet and a Tachstola acroxantha. I could not find a single moth over The Oaks Crematorium but I did see a Nuthatch flying over as did a Great Spotted Woodpecker and a pair of Linnets at this location. Both Blackcap and Chiffchaff were still singing in the adjacent woods. 


This Silver-ground Carpet had me fooled at first. I thought it was going to be a rare migrant for I could not find it in my field guide, so putting it on the Hants Moths Facebook page, 'mothing' pal, Dave Levy suggested Silver-ground Carpet, though it was a rather worn individual. It was also agreed by the Author of Hants Moth Facebook too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...