Monday, June 6, 2022

Few moths around the Crematoriums today.

Monday 6th June 2022.


The micro moth, Chrystoteuchia culmella at Portchester Crematorium this morning.

What seems like a very long time, I put the moth box on tonight, knowing that there is very little rain due overnight and so, I am optimistic that I might pick up a few more new for the year. I was working over Portchester Crematorium this morning and a check of the South Chapel exit and neighbouring flower bays, produced very few moths, which was disappointing. 

I found the following moths, which, bar one, were all around the South Chapel exit: Small Dusty Wave, 2 Bee Moths and a Chrystoteuchia culmella (see photo) and even The Oaks Crematorium failed to bring in any moths at all. There was not a great deal bird wise either, with just a few Common Buzzards noted along the M275 perched on the lamp posts. Yesterday, I was over my Father’s house in Lovedean and from the comfort of his Conservatory, I spotted both Common Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk, the latter was carrying very large prey in its talons and seemed to struggle in carrying it.

Another photo of the Dipper with one of the juveniles in Romsey. Photo by Andy Tew.

I was watching Springwatch tonight and one topic of conversation taking place was the ringing of Warblers at Hauxley Nature Reserve where Megan was treated in holding a Reed Warbler. This reminded me of the conversation I had with one of Lazee Birders at the Dipper site on Saturday last where the conversation came from the Wood Warblers in the New Forest. This particular Wood Warbler was photographed and most notable was the FOUR rings it had on its legs - two on one leg and two on the other! This begs the question on why on Earth would one want to put so many rings on just one bird? Surely, though they weigh next to nothing, these birds still have to go about their daily lifestyle and weighted down with these rings surely does not help the bird in any way? Maybe I might get some answers if I put it on social media? 


The Wood Warbler in question! How many rings must a small passerine have on its legs?  Photo by Trevor Stimpson.

I got a text from birding pal, Geoff Farwell on Sunday to say that he had a pair of Turtle Doves near Charlton Down, an area I might go and check this weekend. At Langstone Mill Pond, the Heron flock there had 40 juvenile birds from 20 nests; 11 Cattle Egrets from 4 nests and 15 Grey Herons with 5 nests. Though impressive, it is apparently well down from this time last year. Yesterday, a Black Tern, Little Gull and a Yellow Wagtail were recorded at Black Point, Hayling Island!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...