Saturday, May 21, 2022

Another 'lifer' moths added to my life list.

Friday 20th May 2022.


True Lovers Knot moth was a nice surprise and my second 'lifer' within a week!

Another very early start this morning (4.50am) to check the moth box I put on overnight resulted in a ‘lifer’! It wasn't till I was at the last egg tray when I turned it over and it revealed my first ever True Lovers Knot, which begs the question, how on earth did someone come up with this name for this moth? Truly baffling. I realised straight away I had something very interesting here and so very quickly got round to potting the moth so it would not fly off while photographing it. However, another very interesting Pug species eluded identification despite putting a photo of the moth on Hants Moths, only to be told that a better angle would be required to get a correct ID. The moth had promptly flown off before I could grab any more photos!


Willow Beauty.

Yellow-barred Brindle.


Right, a Buff-tip and to the left of it, a Bright-line Brown-eye.  

Pale Mottled Willow.

Never mind, I still got a ‘lifer’ and at least 10 more moths that were new for the year. The weather was very mild overnight and for a change, no thunderstorms or any rain either, which produced 40 moths of 21 species. The following moths were present in and around my moth box:

  • 1 True Lovers Knot
  • 5 Willow Beauty (NFY)
  • 2 Yellow-barred Brindle (NFY)
  • 5 Lime-Speck Pug
  • 1 Buff Ermine (NFY)
  • 1 Silver Y
  • 3 Bright-Line Brown-eye
  • 2 Garden Carpet
  • 2 Common Marbled Carpet
  • 1 Buff-tip (NFY)
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Pale Mottled Willow (NFY)
  • 1 Vines Rustic )NFY)
  • 1 Setaceous Hebrew Character (NFY)
  • 3 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 5 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 1 Agonopterix arenella
  • 1 Garden Pebble
  • 1 Mompha subbistrigella (NFY)
  • 1 Bryotropha affinis (NFY)
  • 1 Ephestia woodiela (NFY)


Vines Rustic.


Setaceous Hebrew Character.


Buff Ermine.

Most certainly, the most moths I have had this year to date and should it stay mild, I could possibly get some higher numbers. Of course, the Sparrows had a feast on some of my moths once I went back into the garden and I have been moaned at on Social Media by some morons  for not getting up early enough to check my moth box, hence getting up so early! That is why I am only ‘moth-ing’ just 3 days of the week. It's too knackering! I have put photos of the moths that were new for the year on today's entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...