Tuesday, May 17, 2022

A variety of nice sightings on the hottest day of the year.

Tuesday 17th May 2022.


The Pale Tussock at The Oaks Crematorium this morning.

There was a bit of activity today over The Oaks Crematorium which I thought was noteworthy. We were told by the weather ladies this morning that today was going to be the hottest day of the year so far and my vehicle temperature gauge said it was 80 degrees this afternoon over The Oaks! More thunderstorms were due late this afternoon, though it was still dry around 4pm this afternoon, despite it starting to cloud up and the wind getting up.


Above, a view of the small pond by the car park at The Oaks Crematorium. Sadly, no Dragonflies today. Below, Red Campion growing beside the Pond.

A male singing Chiffchaff was heartily singing its distinctive song from the edge of the wood on the west side of the car park and a probable female flew out of vegetation and back into the woodland. The Great Spotted Woodpecker flew onto the feeders in front of the main hall and overhead, a Common Buzzard soared low enough for me to get a good view of the bird, until it flew off into the woodland to the north.


This Brown House Moth was in my kitchen this morning. A quick couple of photos and then I let it go outside. 

I did check the Book of Remembrance building again and the Light Emerald moth was still present, although I must have flushed it as it flew down and landed deep within the vegetation below. Better still, from the exit of the main hall, the beams by the fountain held a superb Pale Tussock moth and I had to fetch a chair to stand on to grab a decent photo of the moth. My second of this species within the week. I was checking the Pond to the west of the car park and came  across my first Painted Lady butterfly of the year which was resting on the ploughed ground that has wildflower seeds sown into it. There were no Dragonflies or Damselflies on show here, but the Red Campion plants looked attractive.

The young Starlings within their nestbox opposite my house tonight.

I resumed painting the fences tonight and enjoyed a flock of around 10 Swifts flying so close together and so low too as they screamed by overhead. Twice they did this until flying off. Tonight, I also noticed the young Starlings poking their heads out of their nest box hole with the adult in attendance outside the box (see photo). Though I do expect a heavy shower or two tonight, I have my moth box on and hopefully, should attract a few more moths than Monday morning. So here’s to another very early start tomorrow morning. Below, some video footage of a family group of Stone Curlews filmed in the North-west of the County.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...