Thursday, May 19, 2022

A moth 'lifer' in my moth box yesterday.

Thursday 19th May 2022.


My first ever Fox Moth, a male, that was in my moth box this morning.

The last two evenings have witnessed some interesting thunderstorms and consequently put on quite an amazing light show should one stay up to witness it. Frankly, I have been too tired to stay up having to get up early for work (and my moth box!) and consequently working a full day and then continuing to paint my fence panels in the evening. Yesterday, I was up at 5am to check the moth box and I got a really nice surprise when I discovered quite a few moths that were new for the year. However, I was in for a real surprise when I found out that one was a ‘lifer’ for me! 




More photos of my first ever Fox Moth.

Again, one has to get up very early to avoid the local breeding House Sparrows taking advantage of an easy breakfast on my moths and so bleary eyed, cup of coffee in hand, I then go about recording the moths in and around my moth box. The following moths were present this morning:

  • 1 Fox Moth (male) (LIFER)
  • 1 Common Marbled Carpet
  • 1 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 1 Small Dusty Wave (NFY)
  • 2 Lime-speck Pug (NFY)
  • 1 Common Pug
  • 1 Brimstone Moth
  • 1 Willow Beauty (NFY)
  • 1 Silver Y (NFY)
  • 1 Vestal (NFY)
  • 1 Common Plume
  • 1 Garden Pebble (NFY)
  • 2 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 3 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 1 Eudonia angustea
  • 1 Platyedra subcinera (NFY)
  • 1 Agonopterix arenella (NFY)



Silver Y.


One of two Lime-speck Pugs.


The immigrant micro moth Diamond-back Moth.

I have to say, despite some very heavy showers overnight, I was really happy with that haul of moths, especially when at least 7 of them were new for the year. However, I was in for a real surprise later in the evening when an expert eye noticed that I had originally put a moth photo of a Lackey. It was re-identified by moth expert Ben Dale as a male Fox Moth, a species I have never seen before! Apparently, it was too early for Lackey’s to arrive yet and Ben concluded I was very lucky to get one in my moth box as males rarely are attracted to light. 

Garden Pebble.

Agonopterix arenella.


Small Dusty Wave.

Off the subject of moths, the drive over Portsdown Hill on the way to Portchester Crematorium during my working hours produced a Peregrine flying south high over the Hill and also a male Kestrel hovering near the roadside. Today, a few Common Buzzards were noted, including a displaying bird high over Catherington Cemetery and a Blue Tit was using a very ornamental nest box within the Cemetery as well. The Kestrel was seen again as I drove over Portsdown Hill but very little else apart from a few Skylarks near the roadside by Skew Road.


Platyedra subsinera.


Vestal.


Rustic Shoulder-knot moth at Portchester Crematorium this morning.

Checking for moths around around Portchester Crematorium, I found my first Rustic Shoulder-knot of the year hiding away behind one of the doors by the South Chapel exit. I also found a Bloxworth Snout high up in the same area, but it would not play ball and remained too high up to get a decent photo of the moth. Sadly, apart from a Large White butterfly by the Flower Bay, there were no other moths present around the Flower Bay.


Large White butterfly at Portchester Crematorium this morning. 


Eupeodes species of Hoverfly on my moth box yesterday morning.

Very interesting bird news comes from the Romsey area where it has been confirmed that a pair of Dippers have nested on the River Test. Due to possible disturbance, it has been safe to say that the exact location is being kept secret at present, but hopefully will be disclosed at a later date so most Hampshire birders can get their ‘County tick’ no doubt……..including me! Cracking news though, nonetheless.


The Dipper on the River Test. Photo by Andy Tew.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...