Saturday, September 26, 2026

Back Garden Birding!

Saturday 26th September 2026.


One of the Chiffchaffs near my garden this morning.


My heavy cold took its toll on me and so I had to forgo a day’s birding with the guys and as it turns out, both Andy Fisher and I had a sick note from Matron to take the day off birding! Birding pal, Geoff Farwell went on his lonesome to Old Winchester Hill while I done some Back Garden Birding instead.



Above and below, the Hornet-mimic Hoverflies were in my garden today.



I was very tempted, should I have been feeling a lot better, to take the long trek to see the Semi-palmated Sandpiper on Pennington Marshes and thankfully to all those who went for the bird, it remained loyal to the pools at this lovely site today, unlike the Lapland Bunting that done a runner overnight. The weather was amazing and it even got into the 70’s in the bright sunshine. My wife and I done a load of washing, making the most of the warm sunshine and in between all this, I sat in the garden enjoying both the birdlife and insect life my garden attracts.



Above, a Syrphus species of Hoverfly and below, one of the Solitary Bee's species. I shall get a true ID later.



Most of the bird action took place early in the morning with at least two Grey Wagtails and two Pied Wagtails low over the rooftops. Meadow Pipits were trickling through all day, though picking them out in a clear blue sky proved challenging. Up to two Chiffchaffs, possibly three birds, were skulking around the gardens and seen occasionally in neighbouring trees and bushes.



Above, the Speckled Wood seen in my garden yesterday. Below, a Holly Blue nectaring on the Jasmine Nightshade.



Ivy is now flowering in my garden and this in turn attracted a lot of insects. The flowering Ivy attracted my first Ivy Bees (Colletes hederae) of the year, but also a few Batman Hoverflies (Myathropa florea) were seen along with at least two Hornet-mimic Hoverflies (Volucella zonaria) seen in the garden.



Above, several Ivy Bees were present today although, below, they still had to run the gauntlet of avoiding the webs that contained False-widow Spiders! This Ivy Bee wasn't that lucky.



A few butterflies were also noted and that included a Holly Blue enjoying the Jasmine Nightshade growing at the back of the garden and a Red Admiral popped in occasionally and rested on the garden fence, but a Small White was a brief stayer. Yesterday, I had a Speckled Wood butterfly also resting on the garden fence. My garden is a good suntrap and most certainly attracts many insects, so if the birds are scarce, the insects always entertain.



Above, another photo of one of the Chiffchaffs in the neighbouring gardens. Below, Matt and Emma Parkes took the long trip down to Pennington Marshes to see the Semi-palmated Sandpiper and also had this bonus Osprey there.



Birding pal Geoff Farwell had a good walk around Old Winchester Hill today and notched up the following sightings: Marsh Tit, Redstart, 2 Stonechat, 5 Chiffchaff, 3 Blackcap, Siskin, Raven, Sparrowhawk, 3 Red Kites and 2 Common Buzzards. There was also a good number of Clouded Yellow butterflies still around also.

 


A good friend of mine sent me this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back Garden Birding!

Saturday 26 th September 2026. One of the Chiffchaffs near my garden this morning. My heavy cold took its toll on me and so I had to for...