Sunday 27th September 2026.
The damn cold continues as I spent most of the night downstairs
sleeping with the dogs! I had the Moth Box on overnight and I started to wish I
didn’t bother as it was such a poor turn out. A fairly bright start to the day with
a breezy southerly wind blowing over the garden. I wanted to give the dogs a good
walk this morning seeing they didn’t get one last night and so took them for a
good stroll around Highland Road Cemetery.
My Moth Box:
I was rather disappointed with the number and variety of
Moths this morning with nothing new for the year either. Earlier this week, I
was getting around 50-60 moths but just 15 moths of 6 species was hardly
anything to write about. On a positive note, we are only a stone’s throw away
from October and moth numbers do decline. I read on Hants Moths Facebook that
someone got their first Black Rustic, which really is a true sign of late
Autumn.
The Moths present this morning included the following:
|
MACRO BOX |
MICRO BOX |
|
|
|
|
Double-striped
Pug x3 |
Light Brown
Apple Moth x7 |
|
Small Dusty
Wave x1 |
Rusty-dot
Pearl x2 |
|
Large Yellow
Underwing x1 |
Box Tree Moth
x1 |
Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea:
Arriving at the Cemetery around 8am, I wasn’t at all
surprised to see several dog-walkers already there and a few familiar faces (and
dogs). It was quite bright overhead with plenty of high cloud, though the early
morning wind had dropped, it was still quite mild as the high pressure over the
south coast continues. There is talk of rain heading this way, but not this
morning it seems.
A total of 18 species were recorded during the hour I was
there and apart from the usual birds, there were few surprises in store. I have
been recording wildlife, including the birds here on my ‘local patch’ for at
least 17 years, but it was the first time I have ever seen a flock of Canada
Geese fly over the site; my 82nd bird species recorded here at
Highland Road Cemetery. The birds were heard calling as they flew south over
the Cemetery.
A couple of Goldcrests were heard this morning here and one
was actually seen flying out of the Monkey Puzzle tree in the south-west corner
of the site. A few Chiffchaffs were also calling at the site, but there were no
sightings of the birds today. A small
flock of five Swallows flew south low over the trees and a Meadow Pipit was
heard calling high over, but again, no sighting of the bird.
As I was leaving the Cemetery, I heard the Jays calling
within the trees but they remained hidden unlike the many Magpies and Wood Pigeons
seen this morning.
The following bird species were recorded there this morning:
- Goldcrest
- Swallow
- Meadow Pipit
- Chiffchaff
- Blackbird
- Wood Pigeon
- Feral Pigeon
- Herring Gull
- Black-headed Gull
- Starling
- Wren
- Robin
- Blue Tit
- Great Tit
- Magpie
- Jay
- Carrion Crow
- Canada Geese











No comments:
Post a Comment