Sunday 20th September 2026.
It was overcast this morning and still mild with
temperatures around the 17 degree mark. A north-easterly wind was blowing
lightly over Southsea as I took my dogs for their morning walk and this time,
it was back over my local patch, Highland Road Cemetery. It has been a few
weeks since I have been here and as Autumn marches on, the possibility of
something unusual within the Cemy could be on the cards.
Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea:
There was nothing out of the ordinary here this morning and
although it was bright but overcast, it was rather quiet. Very few birds were
actually calling, but as I casually walked around anticlockwise along the main
footpath, birds did start to appear as well as call. Small numbers of Meadow
Pipits were flying overhead, heading southbound towards the coast, but that was
all that the ‘Vis Mig’ had to offer here this morning.
A couple of Chiffchaffs were heard calling deep within cover,
but it wasn’t till I was nearly walking towards the exit of the Cemy that I saw
one of the birds flitting about in one of the large Yucca Plants near the
Chapel. Over on the east side of the Cemy, I could hear the Starlings giving
off their alarm calls as a swirling flock gave way to a male Sparrowhawk flying
through and heading north over the Cemetery; but too quick for a decent photo.
Up to 13 bird species were recorded this morning, either
heard or seen, but I said to myself that I must get over here a lot more to
increase this number. It is the time of year that Fungi are starting to appear
and there were at least three very large blooms of Honey Fungus growing along
one of the footpaths, notably where the large, but dying Beech Tree used to be.
Hardly any plants were flowering, with Yarrow easily the most common plant seen.
Yes, it was rather quiet, but this oasis in the middle of
Southsea never fails to produce something to look at and enjoy.
Yesterday, birding pal Geoff Farwell went to Beacon Hill, in
the Meon Valley and recorded the following sightings that included 2 Red Kites,
2 Common Buzzard, 10 Blackcap, 3 Chiffchaff, 2 Firecrest, Marsh Tit and at
least 150+ House Martins through overhead. A Tawny Owl was also heard too on his trip there.










No comments:
Post a Comment