Friday, September 25, 2026

A disappointing Moth turn out.

Friday 25th September 2026.


Yesterday's Lapland Bunting at Bunny Meadows, Warsash. The bird was still present this morning. Photo by Andy Tew.


I have the day off from Pembroke Road today as I have caught a rather nasty cold that kept me awake most of the night! Fume! I still had the Moth Box on overnight and this morning, I was very disappointed about the low numbers of Moths present. The weather is looking good again for today with temperatures climbing up into the mid 20’s this afternoon, but a bit cloudy first thing this morning, with a very light southerly.

My Moth Box:


My first White-point for September.


Yes, a very disappointing 20 moths of just 7 species this morning with the only saving grace with my first White-point moth for September. A lone Clancy’s Rustic in the outside egg tray along with a single Square-spot Rustic were the only other highlights.



One of three Box Tree Moths today. This is the dark morph species.

Yesterday, I found both Square-spot Rustic and a Double-striped Pug by the outside light of a Retirement Home in Southsea; apparently, a good spot for Moths as I always keep a look out for them at this site. The Moths recorded this morning were as follows:

 

MACRO MOTHS

MICRO MOTHS

 

 

White-point x1

Rusty-dot Pearl x3

Small Dusty Wave x2

Box Tree Moth x3

Square-spot Rustic x1

Light Brown Apple Moth x9

Clancy’s Rustic x1

 

 

There was no Visible Migration going on while I checked the Moth Box although I was so full of snot that I probably couldn’t hear anything flying high overhead. However, I did hear a Chiffchaff calling in nearby gardens.

In Hampshire today:


The Semi-palmated Sandpiper at Pennington Marshes filmed yesterday by Simon Colenutt.

Yesterday, along with the superb juvenile Semi-palmated Sandpiper on Pennington Marshes, a Lapland Bunting was found on Bunny Meadows, at Warsash and a very showy individual too, which brought out all the Hampshire listers. Both birds are still present this morning, but will they be there tomorrow for us who must work?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A disappointing Moth turn out.

Friday 25 th September 2026. Yesterday's Lapland Bunting at Bunny Meadows, Warsash. The bird was still present this morning. Photo by A...