Saturday, October 26, 2024

Some amazing moths today.

Friday 25th October 2024.


My first Gem moth for the year. This is an immigrant moth for Southern Europe, but does turn up in small numbers here on the South coast.

A very busy day today with us making our way to North Wales for a well-earned week's break (especially for my wife), but beforehand, I still had my two jobs to do before picking up my step-son from work and then taking the long, long journey north. But there was the small matter of both my Moth Box switched on overnight and the birds from Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth to check out. The weather wasn’t too bad either with a hazy orange sun trying to break through the thick cloud to the east, which eventually gave way to some sunshine as the day wore on. At least it was dry.


The Moth Box:



One of the amazing THREE Golden Twin-spot moths that were by my Moth Box today. Unbelievable! Again, these are also rare in the UK and originate from Southern Europe.

I had a quick check of the Moth Box before I left for my first shift and was surprised to see my third Golden Twin-spot moth on the white sheet behind the Box. I quickly potted it and kept it to photograph later. Also present were up to three Jasmine Moths and quite a few Light Brown Apple Moths and Rusty-dot Pearls. When I got back from my first shift, I quickly checked out my Moth Box again and found another two more Golden Twin-spot’s!!! One is good, but THREE is exceptional. But better was to come. When I got back from my other job, I had just a few minutes to check around the Moth Box again and I then discovered another moth on the bottom of the white sheet. Quickly potting the moth, I soon realised it was my first Gem moth of the year! Happy days indeed.


Above, one of the Golden Twin-spot's getting ready for take off and below, the Dark Sword-grass moth.

The moths present this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Golden Twin-spot x3
  • Double-striped Pug x2
  • Dark Sword-grass
  • Lesser Yellow Underwing
MICRO MOTHS:
  • Light Brown Apple Moth x5
  • Jasmine Moth x3
  • Rusty-dot Pearl x5
  • Ruddy Streak


I couldn't resist putting another photo of the Golden Twin-spot. A stunning moth.

Not a bad selection I might add and overhead, a flock of 3 Redwing passed by heading south and a Pied Wagtail to round off a very good morning here.


Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:


A superb total of 22 species were either heard or seen during my shift at Old Portsmouth and thankfully the weather was most kind today. Yet again, there was a huge movement of Wood Pigeons going over and many were in the Holm Oak trees along Pembroke Road. Occasionally, something would scatter the Pigeons and sure enough, a female Sparrowhawk went belting through heading north over the road.

I think the biggest surprise was when I heard some Jackdaws overhead, a species that is rare here during my shifts in Pembroke Road. When I looked up, I was staggered to see a huge flock of at least a 100+ going over in one big flock, heading south-west. The Jays went about their usual business, searching for acorns, which included one no less than 20 feet away from me! As I put my stuff away back in the boot of my car, a Goldcrest was heard calling in the garden opposite to round off an impressive list of birds here this morning.

After picking up my wife and Russell, it was then the long journey up to our Cottage for the week, which was called Bragdy Wern, situated on the Wern Fawr Manor Farm, near Pwlheli in Gwynedd. During the 277 mile trip, I encountered at least a dozen Red Kites and several Common Buzzards and stopped just twice for toilet breaks and refreshments; but it was a long, long journey and the M5 & M6 were a nightmare! It was 11.30pm when we arrived at our place of stay and we were most pleasantly surprised.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our first full day on the Farm.

Saturday 26th October 2024. Our superb accommodation for the week, Bragby Wern. So, it is our first full day here in North Wales and it kick...