Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Plenty of 'Vis Mig' but low moth numbers.

Wednesday 23rd October 2024.


My third Pearly Underwing moth of the year.


There was the threat of rain this morning and there was a brief shower during my first shift at Pembroke Road. But there was hardly any wind whatsoever and so it was looking good for a bit of ‘vis mig’ overhead. I also put my Moth Box on overnight and I’m afraid to say, there wasn't many moths at all. While walking the dogs down my road, a Redwing was heard to call overhead in the dark!


Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:


 

One of several Harlequin Ladybirds on my second shift this afternoon.

Another good total of bird species seen this morning on my first shift with 19 species seen or heard during the hour I was there. Bird of the morning had to go to the vocal Jackdaw, which flew west heading towards Garrison Church. Thrushes were passing overhead with up to three Song Thrushes and two Redwing seen heading south, while a trickle of Meadow Pipits also went through.


The Moth Box:



Carnation Tortrix.

A Pearly Underwing, my second of the year, was sitting in one of the outside egg trays this morning and a Carnation Tortrix was a surprise find, only my third this year. Despite mild conditions, there were only 18 moths of just 9 species in and around my Moth Box; though a lot of Moth recorders are going through the same thing.


One of two Double-striped Pugs.

The moths recorded this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Pearly Underwing
  • Feathered Ranunculus
  • Double-striped Pug x2
  • Blair's Mocha
MICRO MOTHS:
  • Carnation Tortrix
  • Rusty-dot Pearl x2
  • Jasmine Moth
  • Light Brown Apple Moth x8
  • Common Plume 


One of the Ring Ouzels on Butser Hill today. Photo by Andy Friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our first full day on the Farm.

Saturday 26th October 2024. Our superb accommodation for the week, Bragby Wern. So, it is our first full day here in North Wales and it kick...