Monday, October 14, 2024

Rare moth in my Moth Box.

Monday 14th October 2024.


Only my second ever Radford's Flame Shoulder moth.

And yet another wet start to the working week with drizzly and sometimes heavy rain coming down throughout the night. The wind was coming from the south and therefore the temperatures were abnormally high for this time of year and that most likely prompted more immigrant moths to reach our shores. Well it did in my garden as I notched up my first ever Radford’s Flame Shoulder moth for my garden. I have seen this species only once before, when Becky and I stayed down East Prawle, Devon, around five years ago. I have been looking on the Migrant Lepidoptera Moths Facebook page and have been quite envious on some of the numbers of Radford’s Flame Shoulder moths on some of the coastal hotspots. Though it was a wet morning at Pembroke Road, it was much drier and sunnier in the afternoon,


The Moth Box:



Two Jasmine Moths were present today.

Though the number of moths were small, 16 moths of 8 species; there were some quality moths present and virtually nearly all were migrant moths. October does bring some real quality at times and with the Radford’s Flame Shoulder being present on the bottom egg tray within the Box; it really did put a big smile on my face. Two Jasmine Moths added a splash of beauty (they really are surreal looking moths) with one inside the Moth Box and the other on the wall opposite. Because of the weather, I had to wait till when I got back later in the day; but it was worth the wait.


Silver Y moth.

The Moths present this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Radford’s Flame Shoulder (New for Year)
  • Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • Feathered Ranunculus x3
  • Angle Shades
  • Silver Y

MICRO MOTHS:

  • Light Brown Apple Moth x3
  • Rusty-dot Pearl x4
  • Jasmine Moth x2


One of three Feathered Ranunculus moths.

While checking the moths, a Chiffchaff was heard in the neighbouring gardens again.


Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:


The weather was drizzly first thing this morning on my first shift and I only managed to notch up 11 species this morning here in Old Portsmouth, that included the pair of Jays showing on and off and most of the usual birds. A further four more species were added in the afternoon, which included my first Common Buzzard for this site since I have been working here. The bird was seen circling quite high overhead until I watched it close its wings and zoom off to the west. A small flock of House Sparrows flew over and headed north and to round it off, a pair of Great Black-backed Gulls were seen flying east behind the Royal Garrison Church. The Large White Caterpillars were still present nearby, but it looks as though they have totally demolished the Nasturtiam plants!


I had to put another photo of this rare moth.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rare moth in my Moth Box.

Monday 14th October 2024. Only my second ever Radford's Flame Shoulder moth. And yet another wet start to the working week with drizzly...