Sunday, October 13, 2024

Firecrest seen again in the Cemy.

Sunday 13th October 2024.



This male Firecrest showed well briefly in a bush close to the main footpath.


It was back over Highland Road Cemetery this afternoon with a 45 minute stroll with the dogs which turned up a few nice birds. It was rather cloudy and cool this afternoon (around 11 degrees), but there was hardly any wind, which made it a comfortable walk today. There were not too many dog-walkers either, which made viewing any bird easy. Squirrels were literally everywhere which my dogs kept a sharp eye on, though I always have my dogs on a lead.






Above, this Jay showed well high up in a tree then flew off into neighbouring trees, to join a couple of Wood Pigeons.


There was a nice variety of birds this afternoon of which the first notable bird seen was a male Firecrest. I first heard the bird calling deep within a bush and eventually, it showed briefly but long enough to grab a half decent photo. The bird soon flew off to another bush, but I was sure there were more than one in the area and probably the same pair I saw last week. Shortly afterwards, a Jay flew in and landed in the top of a tree and although I grabbed a few photos, the bird soon flew off towards the trees close to the Mausoleum. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard in the distance and despite being quite a vocal bird, I never actually got a sighting of it.



Above, the various shades of green on all these trees are really eye-catching. Autumn brings with it the variety of colours and never fails to excite me. Below, there were not many flowers still in bloom, but this clump of Ox-eye Daisies caught my eye.



Above, the usual insects were nectaring on the flowering Ivy including this Ivy Bee.


In all, 17 species were seen or heard during my walk round my local patch, which included the following birds:

  • Herring Gull
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Starling
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker
  • Jay
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Firecrest
  • Blackbird
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • Goldfinch
  • Meadow Pipit

In Hampshire today, a Yellow-browed Warbler was seen briefly near Hammonds Bridge along the Canal Path, Titchfield. Nearby, up to 3 Glossy Ibis were on the Bridge Street Floods early morning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rare moth in my Moth Box.

Monday 14th October 2024. Only my second ever Radford's Flame Shoulder moth. And yet another wet start to the working week with drizzly...